PDA

View Full Version : Header for M20 325i

Brianreed
08-04-2004, 07:12 PM
I have been looking around and I find it crazy that I cannot find a header for my 325is for uner $800 bucks. Ireland sells the Stahl for $790. Then after that I have to get the thing modified for racing. I can buy a header for a 240Z for $150. What gives? What do all of you do?

RonInSD
08-04-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Brianreed:
I have been looking around and I find it crazy that I cannot find a header for my 325is for uner $800 bucks. Ireland sells the Stahl for $790. Then after that I have to get the thing modified for racing. I can buy a header for a 240Z for $150. What gives? What do all of you do?

Check out topend performance. I purhcased a header for my E21 this spring and it and fit good.

Here is a shorty header for a E30 M20. You did not say what body style you are using.

http://www.racetep.com/e30hdr.html

mlytle
08-04-2004, 08:55 PM
search classifieds for a used supersprint. the can be found for <$500.

BMW RACER
08-04-2004, 09:47 PM
Brian. When I had my E30 I started with a Stahl, good header, but hung down too low, wasn't long before I demolished that. Then I got a Supersprint, much tidier and no slower. Then for my E36 I bought a system from James at Bimmerworld. Was over $2000.00 for the whole system front to back including muffler. Damm!! That's a lot of money I thought. But when I opened the box I realised that it was worth every penny. It fit great, it worked great, and it's the best looking part of my car! That system from top-end looks kind of funky. I think you get what you pay for. A good system will work well for a long time.

Bruce Shafer
08-05-2004, 09:46 AM
I can second everything BMW racer mentioned. I had a Stahl (bought direct) on my E30 325is and it was THE lowest part of the car. I ended up welding a skid plate on the collector to keep it from getting destroyed.

I now have the Kromer Kraft header and exhaust on my E36 and it is the nicest engineered exhaust (and nicest looking) products that I have ever purchased. Prior to the KK system I had a Supersprint and the fitment was excellent.

chuck baader
08-05-2004, 10:46 AM
A couple of points of interest since I just finished looking for a header. It is correct that the Stahl is too low. I too purchased a weld-it-yourself kit and did not use it. I ended up making my own. I looked at the set Ron mentioned, but the front and rear sections are identical which makes it necessary to have the convuluted front pipe with a serious restriction where it crosses over the motor mount. Those headers are made by MSDS. I ended up making my own set (NOT INTERESTED) before I saw the set made by Ground Control. I think they will be your best bet for size/ground clearance and with a merge collector should make good power.

I spoke with Kromer Kraft, and they will make a set for about 800 but they need a car to build a set. That was 6 weeks or so ago, so they may have engineered a set by not.

As you can see, there is practically no easy/cheap way to header the e30. Look at what www.ground-control.com (http://www.ground-control.com) has and I think you will be pleased. IMHO, there's is the best money/clearance solution. Then you still have to build or buy a merge collector and weld everything. Good luck.

------------------
Chuck Baader
#36 ITA E30 BMW
Alabama Region Divisional Registrar

Brianreed
08-05-2004, 01:29 PM
Are you sure Ground Control? I thought they only made suspension parts. I cannot find anything about headers on teir website. Maybe I could get you to make me one? How much?

mlytle
08-05-2004, 03:18 PM
i had an msds header on my e30 first. fit ok, not impressed with power.
then i had a stahl. way too low. sold it
then i got a supersprint used. nice. well made, fit well, good power. highly recommended.

as with bmw racer and bruce, i now have the full tilt kromer kraft header/exhaust on my e36. sweet! i wanted to just leave it on the living room table as a decoration. too nice to hide on the dirty side of the car.

marshall

BMW RACER
08-05-2004, 03:56 PM
It's funny, we're all on the same page regarding the KK header. I want to get an extra 6 into1 collector I think it would look great on the dinning room table with 2 red roses in each pipe!!
Cheers.
John

zracer22
08-05-2004, 04:27 PM
I've used the MSDS header on my car since 2001. The header has worked out perfect for me. AT $225, I can justify spending 600+ for another header that really won't gain me that much more (if any) over the MSDS. On an engine with a ported head and MAS instead of the restrictive AFM, a $600 header may be worth the extra $$$, but not on a stock motor.

chuck baader
08-05-2004, 07:12 PM
Sorry guys, not Ground Control, Ireland Engineering http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif Cranial Rectosis set in. Theirs are 260, and look under e30 performance, intake and exhaust. You can see they look like a good set. The set I made is very similar. Good Luck

------------------
Chuck Baader
#36 ITA E30 BMW
Alabama Region Divisional Registrar