PDA

View Full Version : Strut Inserts for E21 320i

RonInSD
07-08-2004, 03:22 PM
What are people using for front struts for their E21's. I currently have a 77 320i with shortened strut tubes and I am running older carrera inserts. They have gone bad and I am looking for replacements.

I know Carrera is now owned by QA1 Precision Products. I have also heard of someone installing double adjustable QA1 on a ITB 320i. When I was looking for new struts a couple years ago no one made adjustable struts for the 320i because of the strut tube size.

I have heard the best setup is Bilstein sports from the Rabbit. You just have add a inseart below the strut insert.

Ron Leiferman
77 BMW 320i

Bruce Shafer
07-09-2004, 10:06 AM
You probably know more about this than I do, but you should give Ground Control a call. While they sell their own AD shocks they are also a Koni dealer and Koni has strut inserts in just about every configuration. I have no affiliation, but they helped me with Koni SA struts for my E30 back before there was much on the market. Good luck.

RonInSD
07-09-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Bruce Shafer:
You probably know more about this than I do, but you should give Ground Control a call. While they sell their own AD shocks they are also a Koni dealer and Koni has strut inserts in just about every configuration. I have no affiliation, but they helped me with Koni SA struts for my E30 back before there was much on the market. Good luck.

I will GC a call. Koni's site only shows the standard stree version they do not show a sport version. GC may be able to revalve on for me.

I know that the E21 used a smaller size strut tube then standard. The E30 uses more of a standard size tube. So most companies did not build sturts for the E21.

It has been a couple years since I checked the market.

zracer22
07-09-2004, 12:34 PM
Get in touch with T C Kline. They have better prices on Konis than GC and they know BMWs. http://www.tcklineracing.com/

RonInSD
07-09-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by zracer22:
Get in touch with T C Kline. They have better prices on Konis than GC and they know BMWs. http://www.tcklineracing.com/

TC really does not deal with any E21 stuff. He has very little stuff for E30. When I last talked with TC he did not have anything for E21. He may have able to get Koni's for me.

DaveITB1
07-25-2004, 11:04 PM
I run 1st generation scirrocco struts in my '82 320i in ITB. They came with the car when I bought it. Replaced once in 4 seasons of racing. Cheap.

Call Bob Smart at Smarty's Auto (518-622-0329). The machine will pick up - just start talking and if he is in the shop, he'll answer. He is Mr BMW. He also races a 320i in F-Production.

Dave