PDA

View Full Version : E36 loss of power at top end

RR
04-21-2004, 03:47 PM
While testing my e36 race car last week I noticed the power band was smooth and building to about 5300 rpms. At that point the engine seems to get rough but eventully gets through to 6000. Its not a major hesitation like the rev limiter, but just a definite haze in the sound and power. Im stumped, any thoughts or ideas. The motor has low miles with the cat removed and stock chip.

BMW RACER
04-21-2004, 04:36 PM
RR. Is your speedo working? I had a very similar sympton in my e-36 when the speedo pick up broke in my diff. After a brief chat with James Clay at Bimmerworld (a good guy to talk to if you want to go fast) He gave me the tip on the speedo, your ECU needs the signal or it goes to "limp home" It's hard to win races when your limping.
Good Luck.
John Norris

RR
04-21-2004, 07:46 PM
John, I'll check that. Did this happen at around 5000 rpm and was it subtle? Otherwise your car ran fine? I;ve checked everything else, but I'll have to wait to check speedo since the car is in a trailer and cant get to a track for a while. James Clay if your reading this please offer any ideas. Oxygen sensor maybe? If I get the car to a mechanic will the computer tell the story, the check engine light is on.

BMW RACER
04-21-2004, 09:51 PM
I own an Independent BMW repair shop in Los Angeles. I see these cars (e36s) all day long. They are very trouble free as far as running problems are concerned. When my car was screwing up it felt like the rev limiter was kicking in early, but very subtle, it was just kind of laying down at high RPM. If it's not the speedo I doubt that it's O2 sensor. Do you have a friendly local BMW independent? If so, have him read out the check engine codes. If you want to call me at the shop 310-575-4249 maybe I can give you some more ideas.
Good Luck.
John

GKR_17
04-22-2004, 06:56 PM
You can read the codes yourself, without any fancy tools on that car (though if the check engine light is not on, then I don't think any codes will be stored).

see: http://www.unofficialbmw.com/repair_faqs/motronic.html

Grafton

RR
04-23-2004, 11:21 AM
I've tried to check the codes but my car is a 95, and I believe must be taken to a BMW mechanic with a diagnostic machine. But thanks anyway.

GKR_17
04-23-2004, 01:31 PM
It should work on a '95, you need to be very deliberate when you work the gas pedal. If your car actually does have OBDII (first out in '96 I believe) then you'll need a code reader. You can get the Peak tool for under $150 though, and still do it yourself.

Grafton

RR
04-23-2004, 02:57 PM
Have you actully tried this method of hitting the gas 5 times and the code flashes?? I did try this and nothing happened. the check engine light is quite small, so what should happen is the check engine light goes out and then flashes a number??? Also does the 02 sensor have much impact at wide open throttle? I think its unhooked, but been told its cant be that.

mlytle
04-24-2004, 01:49 PM
does the problem happen under load only or both underload and sitting in neutral? if under load only, you may have fuel pressure problem. pump and regulator fresh?

marshall