PDA

View Full Version : Fuel cell options for E36

powerslide91
01-09-2004, 01:15 AM
Hey all,

What kind of fuel cell options are availible for an E36? I saw on BimmerWorld that they have a mod kit to use the stock tank. Any options to put a cell in the stock location?

Anyone used the note in the rule book to move the cell to the trunk? Seems like a shame to move it there...

Thanks,
Jeff

BMW RACER
01-09-2004, 01:37 PM
Jeff. Good question. I'm using the stock tank. I figure by the time that gets crushed your in deep bandini anyway! And its a great location weight wise. Putting a cell in the trunk seems dodgy weight and safety wise.
The question I have is:
Can you put a cell in the stock location and can it be bigger than stock? (I'm thinking enduros here)
Cheers
John

Greg Amy
01-09-2004, 01:54 PM
You should read the GCR and verify, but AFAIK the rules state the fuel cell must be within 12 inches of stock location and that their is no limiation on the size.

Given that, I'd say "yes" and "yes".

Boswoj
01-09-2004, 09:40 PM
"deep bandini"?????

Is this an obscure reference to Lorenzo Bandini who drove a Ferrari in the sixties? He flipped his Grand Prix car while running second to Denny Hulme at Monaco in 1967 and burned to death. (He actually held on for a couple of days in the hospital before succumbing.) I guess that would qualify as "deep bandini". Trivia of the day I guess.

powerslide91
01-09-2004, 10:26 PM
Yikes! No deep bandini for me if that is what it means. So far, the dirty side has stayed down http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

For this specific car, the '03 GCR at least allows for the cell to be moved from under the rear seat "to the trunk, size no larger than stock" (my paraphrase).

Seems like a shame balance wise and also under the rear seat seems to be a great location as to the protection it gets.

It seems that if you use the stock location, the 12" rule and the open size allowance is in play. I'm suprised I have not yet heard or anyone making a cell for these cars already, then seem real popular for BMWCCA and now SCCA, not to mention the european guys... Maybe it's time to call the cell makers to see who will be the first...

Anyone have any other ideas?
Jeff

James Clay
01-10-2004, 10:58 AM
Use the stock tank. Safety is not an issue that I have seen due to the location. Used in most pro cars that way even. There is a cell available for the car that is about $1800 - from Europe. You have to be able to find a better use for that money. And I am a fire safty fanatic - I just don't think this is an issue and it definitely isn't a performance issue.

------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------
James Clay
http://www.bimmerworld.com
Engineered BMW Performance
2003 ITS ARRC Champions
(540) 639-9648
-----------------------------------------------------------

BMW RACER
01-10-2004, 02:55 PM
DEEP BANDINI!!
Yikes! I must be dating myself. Bandini is (was) a brand of fertilizer, and you know what goes into fertilizer don't you? And you probably wouldn't want to get deep in that.
I must be old 'caus I remember Lorenzo Bandidi, didn't he crash at the chicane after the tunnel?
Cheers.
John