PDA

View Full Version : Anyone racing a BMW E30 318i/is M42 in ITS?

BMWtech
08-06-2003, 12:18 AM
is any one racing a BMW E30 318i/is M42 in ITS?
I am bilding a E30 318i/4 M42, need help to get this car competive.

Knestis
08-06-2003, 06:45 AM
I was just talking with someone about that car...

I don't have any tech support (try James at BimmerWorld) but they are a cool option. Take a look at www.it2.evaluand.com (http://www.it2.evaluand.com) as well - we would love to see more of these ITS orphans out on the track.

Kirk

m332is
08-06-2003, 07:43 AM
I raced a 91 318is M42 last year in ITS. Let me know what you want to know - you can contact me off list if you want.

Vince

ITSRX7
08-06-2003, 08:04 AM
Kirk,

I thought because of its RWD config that you would exclude it in IT2...no?

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region
www.flatout-motorsports.com

Knestis
08-06-2003, 04:51 PM
Since it isn't going to happen at a national level, I wouldn't presume that anyone should or should not be excluded. To do a really marketable nationwide implementation of the "real" concept, the profile would have been adhered to but since any further efforts have to continue at the regional level, we have to let the decisions happen at that level.

K

(EDIT - Do you still have that car, Vince? I tried to find your email but it isn't in your profile...)

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited August 06, 2003).]

BMWtech
08-13-2003, 12:00 AM
Vince,
What kind of mod's did you do to the engine?
If you like please contact me, by e-mail i'd appreiate it thanks... [email protected]

By the way, how did you do last year racing the 318?

Armando

m332is
08-13-2003, 09:09 AM
The motor was rather stock... in ITS you really can't do anything. I had a few freinds racing in BMW Club Racing with the 318is in L Prepared. With BMW Club Racing you are allowed to do cams and a light weight flywheel. Their 318s weren't really any faster than me. We dynoed my car and one of their cars and they literally were making about 2 hp/ 2 ft pds of torque than my stock motor.

As there are not a lot of these motors out there in the US, there really has not been a lot of development for racing.

Now in stock form with a car that was over weight, I was able to put the car in the top eight in ITS at Watkins Glen... a track known to reward HP! You can not catch the fast RX-7s and e36 325s, but you can beat the e30 325 and most of the rest of the cars. You have almost no torque, so driving becomes more important... this is NOT a "point and squirt" car.

The car is extremley balanced. I used a suspension from GC with stock e30 M3 sway bars.

My car was totaled last year by a friend qualifying for his license. This year I am racing an e36 325i.

Vince
BMP Racing #85 ITS/JP

BMWtech
08-19-2003, 03:02 AM
I've tested the car, Vince you are right you have to drive the s..t out of it.
I have GC suspension Ireland Engineering sway bars and a locked diff.It handles pretty good but no power.
now my clutch is slipping,what kind of clutch did you use?

how much hp did you get?

thanks

Armando

m332is
08-19-2003, 08:44 AM
The car came with a Dinan chip and when we dynoed the car, we got approx 130-132 at the wheels if I remember correctly. We did the dyno a while ago, so I may be wrong.

It is a great car to learn on and it will make you faster in the long run.

Vince
BMP Racing #85 ITS/JP