PDA

View Full Version : Any body running a 325e in ITA

Gerard Salmon
03-13-2003, 04:07 PM
Looking for good,bad ,& the ugly about running this car.I just aquired an 86 in good shape & runs perfect. Any hints to make it run with the middle to front.

bodyshop
03-22-2003, 01:07 AM
Gerard,
There are two in central florida that seem to be quite fast. I haven't been able to find anyone that can explain how that particular model can be so fast and can rev so high when you consider the factory cam and valvespring combination.

Chris Wire
03-22-2003, 12:08 PM
Gerard,

As with anything, beware that you don't put too much stock in race results for individual cars. Some cars excel at certain tracks, but may be less suited to others.

To back up bodyshop, considerable questions have been raised relative to the BMWs mentioned. Maybe sitting on the front row of the ITS/ITA field on the long course at Sebring is not such a great idea. Compounding the situation, one BMW (an A car remember) proceded to lead the first lap and out accelerate many top ITS cars down the straightaway. He finished it off by running the fastest lap of the race by a tenth over any ITS car, some 4-5 secs. over the next fastest ITA time. Hmmmmmm.

While I think that the chassis is certainly suited to being a good ITA car, you will need to rely on the experts like James Clay, Rennie Bryant and the like to get objective, honest answers about the amount of legal HP the ETA motor could make.

------------------
Chris Wire
Team Wire Racing
ITS Mazda RX7 #35
[email protected]

lateapex911
03-22-2003, 05:16 PM
Interesting Chris- I think the SCCA needs a pool of cash that each week, that a driver could apply for, for protesting guys who are doing "the impossible"! Ok with me if they charge me an additional $100 or more to fund the fund when I get my Lic, or raise entry fees (maybe for IT guys only, ala spec ford fees) by an amount. Might take a year to build up the kitty, but that's ok!

I have seen the impossible, watched records fall to the impossible, and watched the impossible run away and hide, leaving everyone shaking their heads, and I wish the system could more easily police the impossible.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited March 22, 2003).]

Gerard Salmon
03-22-2003, 07:03 PM
Thanks guys

I know they handle very well even stock, but if there`s too long of a straight it`ll run out of steam. Low HP but what a touque monster out of the turns with 410 gears. I`ll build it anyway and just have some fun running it.

Chris Wire
03-24-2003, 01:10 PM
Jake,

Given that IT guys generally accept/argue that other drivers are indeed cheating, I would think that an extra $10 added to the entry fee for "complience" would be welcomed. Of course some would moan about it, but they might be the same people with the most to hide.

If there were say, 150 IT cars at a given event, that would generate an additional $1500 in revenue for the region. I would think that the additional monies would be enough to convince the regional executives that IT was a valuable enough commodity to warrant some extra attention!

I know that we as members shouldn't have to pay for the added attention, but if we get the desired result, I'm for it.

------------------
Chris Wire
Team Wire Racing
ITS Mazda RX7 #35
[email protected]

Gerard Salmon
03-24-2003, 05:54 PM
SCCA should do what EMRA does, they have times when they check cars at randem to see legality of valve lift. And i`m sure if there is some cars suspected of cheating better bring your manual. I`d just like to know how they check the cam on those peskey rotaries LOL (just kidding) http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

lateapex911
03-25-2003, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by Gerard Salmon:
SCCA should do what EMRA does, they have times when they check cars at randem to see legality of valve lift. And i`m sure if there is some cars suspected of cheating better bring your manual. I`d just like to know how they check the cam on those peskey rotaries LOL (just kidding) http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

1- I know that some regions, (NER, thanks tech dudes!) do this already. I did it when I was the grand poobah of a sportscar club, and it was a big hit.

2- I think they check with a thing called a "lollipop"

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Wreckerboy
04-04-2003, 10:45 AM
Gerard -

Bruce Barnett is running one of tose in EMRA right now, and used the same justification you did ("loads of torque"). You might want to talk to him at Pocono next month to learn what his experience has been.