PDA

View Full Version : 320i Fuel Cell

nosun66
01-24-2003, 10:38 PM
Any 320i or other eligible folks who've converted to a fuel cell? I'm interested in where you got it and any other helpful information you all might have. Other necessary parts and pieces information would be especially helpful. TIA.
Bill Wagner.

Tim
01-25-2003, 10:21 PM
Try doing a search on this site, I know for sure this was discussed in detail a few times in the VW section. I have never done a cell install myself but I recall previous threads stating it would cost you about $1200 to do it right, cell, fuel pumps lines etc all told.

GKR_17
01-27-2003, 02:30 PM
Do you really need a cell? I can recall at least 3 fires caused by poorly engineered fuel cells in IT cars, but none with OE tanks. If this were a Pinto I might reconsider, but the OE location is well protected in the 320. Will the cell really be any safer once you put it back in the trunk?

Grafton

joeg
01-27-2003, 07:17 PM
Safer? Yes, if it is a real cell; not some rotary molded job without a container.

A proper cell installation is safer than a stock tank, but adds weight to the vehicle.

nosun66
01-28-2003, 10:31 PM
I agree, the stock tank _is_ pretty well protected and the weight is down low. I hadn't committed myself to one or the other. I'm still in the dismantling stage right now, getting things out of the car and doing general cleanup of the interior for the cage install. The cost of a cell and the associated items is one big factor at the moment and I hadn't done any research on that. I will probably set that aside as a nice to have thing for the future and just do a good cleanup of the stock tank. Thanks for the comments.
Bill Wagner.

BMW RACER
01-28-2003, 11:26 PM
Bill. I would vote for the stock set up on a 320i. How about taking the left tank out and using the right tank only? Not sure how legal that would be.
Keep us posted on your progress, I think the 320I would be a good ITB car.
John Norris

Bruce Shafer
01-29-2003, 01:58 PM
As stated, don't waste your time or money on a fuel cell at this time. The stock tanks are just fine. Just make sure they are in good shape.

JTE
02-15-2003, 07:33 PM
According to the GCRs you must install a fuel cell in a 320i. I know because I'm in the same perdicument. I'm going with the ATL well cell because it fits in the spare tire well.
http://www.atlinc.com

lateapex911
02-15-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by JTE:
According to the GCRs you must install a fuel cell in a 320i. I know because I'm in the same perdicument. I'm going with the ATL well cell because it fits in the spare tire well.
http://www.atlinc.com

Not so, according to my GCR, the 2003 version, "......trunk mounted fuel cell is allowed...." Key words there are "is allowed", which are different than "are mandatory".

It goes on to limit the size to no larger than stock capacity.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

JTE
02-16-2003, 02:29 PM
In the car classification table to ITb it state fuel cell. I sure hope I'm wrong but I don't think so.

lateapex911
02-16-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by JTE:
In the car classification table to ITb it state fuel cell. I sure hope I'm wrong but I don't think so.

Either I'm confused, or?? Reread ITCS page 36-37, it states in the notes: "Trunk mounted fuel cell with no larger capacity than stock is allowed". Which means, you can run a fuel cell, but it has to be no larger than stock capacity. It doesn't say you must run a cell.

Anybody care to shed any further light on this?

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

JTE
02-17-2003, 09:02 AM
With any luck I'm interpreting this information wrong. I believe they don't want you to run the stock fuel tanks because they have 2 of them and they're connected with a piece of rubber hose.This is serious issue for me because it tells me if I'm reading the GCRs correctly. Maybe someone else knows for sure. If I don't have to run a fuel cell that would be great.

nosun66
02-18-2003, 11:02 PM
The "is allowed" statement is correct. It's not required, but if you choose to have one, it can't be a larger capacity than the stock tanks.
Bill Wagner.

GKR_17
02-19-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by nosun66:
...it can't be a larger capacity than the stock tanks.

It could be larger than stock if you put it within 12" of the original location though.

Grafton

nosun66
02-19-2003, 08:24 PM
While not impossible to do on a 320i, it would be tricky. With the stock tanks below the rear seat pan, 12" would be in the cockpit with you. Ugghh. Guess that's why they say we can put it in the trunk if we use one.
Bill Wagner.

JTE
02-20-2003, 09:46 AM
I'm going to get clerification from the SCCA on this issue.