PDA

View Full Version : E36 Fuel Cell

m3ltw
02-12-2003, 07:58 PM
Has anyone ever created (or seen) a fuel cell for an E36 in the STOCK location? (not a trunk/wheelwell mounted cell)

Any idea of cost?

Dan S.

James Clay
02-12-2003, 09:53 PM
I have seen them in Europe, I had a source for one, but they use the expensive material so ballpark price is over $1k without any pumps or an accumulator box. Not sure if it would be IT legal since they spec the location in the trunk if you have a cell. If you have fuel starvation, there are a few easy fixes for it.

------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------
James Clay
http://www.bimmerworld.com
Engineered BMW Performance
World Challenge/SCCA/BMWCCA Racecar Rental
Genuine OEM and Used BMW Parts
(540) 639-9648
-----------------------------------------------------------

BMW RACER
02-12-2003, 11:41 PM
Check with Fuel Safe in Europe, I was at the Autosport Racing Car Show in January and they had one on display, 72 ltrs, they also said they are working on a 100ltr version, great for enduros. I also wonder what the rules nerds think about the legality.

GKR_17
02-14-2003, 02:25 PM
I don't have my GCR handy, but I believe the cell is permitted (not required) to be in the trunk for specific cars, per each spec line. Otherwise the cell must be within 12 inches of the stock location. As far as the volume goes, any size should be legal per the GCR, however, some true enduro's limit the tank capacity in the supps.

Grafton Robertson

m3ltw
02-14-2003, 08:14 PM
I don't have any fuel starvation (anymore), thanks to a Bimmerworld fix (shameless plug!!!). ;-)

The consideration is rather just for safety, while trying to avoid to balance issues (and collision risk) of a trunk location.

Of course, one could just install a bladder, but that would reduce fuel capacity (at least a few gallons?).

Dan