PDA

View Full Version : Euro Oil Cooler

vehdyn
02-03-2003, 09:39 PM
Has anyone installed the euro oil cooler on a US e36? From one of the other forums, someone mentioned that the euro supplies oil to the vanos in a different method. Apparently, you have to retap the filter housing oil temp sender for the US vanos supply. I have the parts but no instructions and I would prefer to prep the housing before tearing into it. Any comments from someone who has done it? Thanks!

------------------
Ken

GKR_17
02-05-2003, 02:40 PM
If it aint broke, don't fix it. Honestly, I suspect you'll cause more problems than you fix. Just run synthetic oil.

vehdyn
02-07-2003, 03:45 PM
Anyone know? Thanks.

------------------
Ken

jared
02-07-2003, 04:13 PM
I don't remember having to retap the housing, I just bolted it on. You should take off the vanos oil line an try it before you put it in the car.

GKR_17 is right when he says you probably don't need it. It takes 10-15 minutes under race conditions just to get the oil up to temp in my car.

m3ltw
02-10-2003, 09:47 PM
For IT, I can't imagine needing a cooler! Even on a scorching day, the oil rarely exceeds 220.

To answer the question, though, Euro motors come pre-tapped for the oil cooler. To install one in a US motor, you can get a tapped oil distribution block from several people (or so I've heard). One BMW tech suggested that the cheapest alternative to the expensive euro cooler (BMW's) would be to take a castoff automatic tranny fluid cooler. It just bolts in front of the radiator.

Dan