PDA

View Full Version : Tow Vehicle and Trailer

325 Ray
11-24-2002, 02:48 PM
I'm looking for a tow vehicle and trailer for my 1989 325is. Any thoughts on what to look for in a combination would be helpful? Especially in deciding whether the trailer should be open or closed. I'm leaning towards a closed trailer, but would like some feedback from those of you that pull one. For instance, does a 325 fit in one easily? Thanks.

--Ray

bobnaz
11-24-2002, 03:11 PM
Me too.

mlytle
11-25-2002, 03:39 PM
hi ray!
an e30 will fit easily in any enclosed trailer 20' or longer. longer trailer equals more space for tools and tires. enclosed trailer raises the bar significantly on the tow vehicle though. midsize suv with v8 will tow an open trailer. go to an enclosed and the min is now suburban or 3/4 ton pickup.

after using my open trailer all this past summer, i am getting a bigger tow vehicle so i can use my enclosed trailer next summer.

marshall

Tom Donnelly
11-25-2002, 07:50 PM
There are a few things to note about trailers and tow vehicles before you learn the hard way. A 20' enclosed is about the limit for an ordinary truck, like a Tahoe or F150 or the like. Anything higher and the trailer will cycle on you. A 20 foot is nice but is harder to resell because there is no extra room once you add the car, spares, toolbox, etc. If you ever want to expand and add shelves or cabinets, you'll need at least a 24'. And to tow 24 feet or above for any length of time with little stress will take a dually. I know a suburban or really big SUV can handle the trailer, but the dual wheels really make a big difference. Especially when you start adding more weight to the trailer with all the extra unnecessary junk you will throw in it. Its like a house, the bigger it is, the more stuff you will throw in it. And the more weight you add, the more dangerous it is to tow.

So, it really comes down to a regular truck with a really good open trailer or step up to the 24' plus. I've towed an E36 BMW in my 20 foot and there was very little room to spare. The car and the tie downs took up the space where I would have put my tool box and spares boxes. And the trailer snaked all over the road. This was with a Tahoe/Pace Shadow combination that gave me very little trouble when towing a lighter/smaller car with all tools and spares.

I'm in the process of buying a new trailer/tow vehicle combination and its either going to be a 24' gooseneck with a Chevy 454 dually or a 1500 with an open trailer.

ITSRX7
11-25-2002, 10:01 PM
If at all possible, get a diesel. We tow a 28' box with a 7.3l turbo Excursion. Piece of cake. Nothing can touch 500-600 ft/lbs of torque.

Trailer is loaded with cabinets, tire racks, 4 sets of tires, tool chest, etc - as well as an ITS RX-7.

I would buy an open trailer as a starter. Get a dual axel with elec brakes. They hold their value VERY well. Then sell in a couple years if you want to upgrade. This will allow you to do the F150/Tahoe/5.4 Excursion thing as well. Then if you REALLY want to move up, get a box with a dually, quad-cab diesel.

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region
[email protected]

BrianB
01-04-2003, 07:26 PM
A friend of mine is a CargoPro trailer dealer.He sells a high quality 24ft. enclosed all aluminum trailer that weighs 2590#. That's less than my RX-7!YOU could tow it with an SUV.At about $7900 for a base model,$8900 well equiped, they're a good deal especially if you don't need to buy a heavy duty tow vehicle.
BrianB

zracer22
01-13-2003, 02:14 PM
I tow my e30 325is on a 18' open trailer with a V8 Toyota Tundra. I have had zero problems, even on big hills. I ow over the Appalachian Mountians to get to Summit Point