PDA

View Full Version : E30 Camshafts

bobnaz
10-27-2002, 07:11 PM
What works best in an 89 325I?

djsmith
10-27-2002, 08:36 PM
Talk with http://www.racetep.com/bmwngin.html#6cyl about M20B25 cams they have for racing.

mlytle
10-28-2002, 01:30 PM
ahhh, since this is an IT board and you are asking about camshafts..

the best camshaft for a bmw is the STOCK one, as it is the only one that is legal.

;-)
marshall

lateapex911
10-28-2002, 10:24 PM
Awwww..... I was just starting to enjoy this! I wanted to see where it went! Bummer....

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Knestis
10-28-2002, 10:50 PM
http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/tongue.gif

Kirk

EDIT - Gotta like this item from their web site - "ITB Stealth Cheater Grind for IT Racing. Stock Lift. 286 duration. Works good with stock springs."

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited October 28, 2002).]

mlytle
10-28-2002, 11:15 PM
oohhhhh, sure 'nuf! right there on the website, an advertised cheater it grind!
anybody have one?
how does it work?
is it really stealth? have you ever been caught?
<LOL>
http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/rolleyes.gif

marshall

bobnaz
10-29-2002, 09:44 AM
Easy boys. Blew head gasket this last weekend and exploring possibilities such as making it a stroker. Last BMW CCA Event I could have gone stock but went JP because I don't have a cat.

What works best in an 89 325I?[/QUOTE]

mlytle
10-29-2002, 10:37 AM
you kinda gotta state up front what your application is on these types of q's, otherwise it is assumed to be for it....

do you mean "kp", not "jp" for the bmw cr class? although a stroker would bump you out of kp.

you might want to ask this question on the bmwcca cr list.

marshall
its/kp e30 355is

James Clay
10-29-2002, 10:49 AM
There is no such thing as an undetectible cheater cam. There is a company that sells regrinds, but put them in a Cam Dr. and they are noticable.

Stroker will put you in Mod I think. Paul Snyder sold an E30 KP that was competitive with E36 cars - get a big cam, flow the injectors, burn a custom chip...

------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------
James Clay
http://www.bimmerworld.com
Engineered BMW Performance
World Challenge/SCCA/BMWCCA Racecar Rental
Genuine OEM and Used BMW Parts
(540) 639-9648

GKR_17
10-29-2002, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by James Clay:
There is no such thing as an undetectible cheater cam. There is a company that sells regrinds, but put them in a Cam Dr. and they are noticable.

That is true, IF you can prove what the specs of a legal cam are. Unfortunately, these numbers are difficult if not impossible to find for some IT cars. Though, and E30 BMW is not one of them.

Grafton

James Clay
10-29-2002, 03:38 PM
...something about not being able to provide your own standard...

Is a 240 one of them?

------------------
James Clay
http://www.bimmerworld.com
Engineered BMW Performance
World Challenge/SCCA/BMWCCA Racecar Rental
Genuine OEM and Used BMW Parts
(540) 639-9648

GKR_17
10-29-2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by James Clay:
...something about not being able to provide your own standard...

Is a 240 one of them?

I have not done the research, but someone did imply that in another post.

Several years ago when I protested a pair of 2002's the SOM's required me to provide the durration number since the factory manual wasn't available, and gave me 15 minutes to find it. Fortunately, the lift value was known, and a Schrick 292 doen't have anything close to stock lift. I doubt I'll need it now, but I was able to get a copy of a 2002 factory manual should I need it again.

Grafton

lateapex911
10-29-2002, 09:49 PM
Well, I checked ut the site, and I must say, I took umbridge.

I wrote a short note and received this in return:

Geez....I have been doing this cam for 12 years....I have sold over 200 of them....It is a fact that IT racers cheat like crazy....Most regions have an unwritten rule between drivers that if someone starts to get too out of hand with mods they will protest or have a talk with them...Racers want to go faster and they are going to cheat to do so...Do I agree with it ? NO...Is it a fact of life and will it continue to occur..YES...Is it the reason that SCCA entries are WAY DOWN and the independant race organizations that allow you to do what you want to the car are thriving....

This is a very minimal grind on this cam and maintains stock lift...The duration increase helps in the 6500-7200 so the only guys that really benefit from it are the guys building serious to the max IT engines....

I don't promote cheating in IT ..If you called and talked to us you would know our position on that...but I am certainly not going to pretend it does not happen nor am I going to ignore a business opportunity....

Color me informed.....

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

chuck baader
10-29-2002, 10:16 PM
that post on the cheater cam is very interesting. two years ago i built a stroker M20 motor, 10.5 comp, 272 schrick cam, matched ports, forged crank/long rods, etc. had custom chip and the motor still quit pulling at 6600. my opinion? breathing system won't handle any appreciaple duration increase to make power above that point. would like to see a dyno sheet on one of these motors. (and yes, i sold the motor prior to building my IT car)

------------------
Chuck Baader
SEDIV ITS #36
E30 BMW