PDA

View Full Version : brake pad choices

overon1
10-23-2002, 01:16 PM
Hi,

what are my brake pad (race compound) choices for the '89 325 ITS car. right now, I use hawk blue in the front and ebs red stuff in the rear, but reds are really street pads and start to fade soon and hawks eat rotors like crazy.

Thanks

zracer22
10-23-2002, 03:18 PM
I run Porterfields front and rear and a Tilton bias valve on the rear. I love them. I'm able to drive in deeper than 99% of the cars on track. Never had them fade, they are easy on rotors and last 3-4 weekends.

chuck baader
10-23-2002, 04:24 PM
i use Mintex 1166 compound all round with a ballance adjuster. removed the rotors after a year of solo 1, 3 track days, and 4 SAARC races and although the rotors were grooved, they showed only .001" smaller than the new ATE rotors. had about 1/8" pad left, front and rear. no fade problems and excellent stopping power. (will have the old ones cleaned-up and carry them as spares-there were also no stress cracks)

------------------
Chuck Baader
SEDIV ITS #36
E30 BMW

mlytle
10-23-2002, 10:38 PM
i use hawk blue or ht10 in front and porterfield r4 in rear. someday i will add a bias valve, but in the meantime, i just ball park it with different pads front and rear.

i have found the hawk blues stop better than the r4 in front. ht10's have to be HOT to work and have a little more more initial bite than the blues. eat rotors? who cares... rotors are a lot cheaper than pads. disposable maint items! :-) i am getting about two sets of pads per set of rotors.

marshall
marrs its #64
e30 bmw

djsmith
10-23-2002, 11:11 PM
You may want to check out the pads at Strictly BMW for the e30 race cars. We have used them all this season and they are the best compound around.

P3 race pads
http://www.strictlybmw.com/products/braking.htm

Hey Chuck how is your QuadShift (http://www.quadshift.com) shift light working out for you?

---
Derek Smith
2002 WSC P3 Champion
2001 ICSCC EIP Champion
2001 ICSCC Novice Driver of the Year

87 325is

[This message has been edited by djsmith (edited October 23, 2002).]

Bruce Shafer
10-24-2002, 07:48 AM
I found Hawk Blues in the front and Hawk Blacks in the rears worked best when I had my E30. This combination provided good balance without a bias valve. As for Hawk Blues, yes they eat front rotors, but if you want to stop quick, that is a fact of life with a pad that has that small a surface area. Use Brembo rotors and that will help with problem, but not alleviate it. Bottom line is rotors are pretty darn cheap for that car anyway.

zracer22
10-24-2002, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by djsmith:
You may want to check out the pads at Strictly BMW for the e30 race cars. We have used them all this season and they are the best compound around.

Way to go Derek.
You just gave away my secret. I recently tried their pads and loved them. I was very happy with my Porterfields until I tried the P3. In fact, if you go to their web page http://www.strictlybmw.com/products/braking.htm you will see an email that I sent to them after trying their pads.

chuck baader
10-24-2002, 04:16 PM
Derek-I really like the QuadShift. Can't beat the accuracy and usability for the price. As for the Mintex 1166 pads, I have used Hawk Blue and Blue/black combination and will take the Mintex product any day. The ease of modulation at lock-up and the clean release without upseting the car during trail brakeing make them my choice over everything else I have tried.The lack of rotor wear is juat a plus to excellent stopping power. Btw, I am told that Mintex is gaining ground in Nascar, espically on the short track setups: that seems to be one of the brake secrets of some of the teams.

------------------
Chuck Baader
SEDIV ITS #36
E30 BMW

overon1
10-25-2002, 10:03 AM
thanks a lot guys, i ll try STR - P3 next time around see how that works out for me.

djsmith
10-27-2002, 02:50 PM
An update on the Strictly BMW P3 pads.

We just finished an 8 hour enduro with these pads front and rear and still had pad left over, so they also make a great enduro pad.

BTW, when I was testing these for Strictly I would get around 10 hours of track testing on 1 set of pads with no rotor wear.

rsportvolvo
10-28-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by chuck baader:
Derek-I really like the QuadShift. Can't beat the accuracy and usability for the price. As for the Mintex 1166 pads, I have used Hawk Blue and Blue/black combination and will take the Mintex product any day. The ease of modulation at lock-up and the clean release without upseting the car during trail brakeing make them my choice over everything else I have tried.The lack of rotor wear is juat a plus to excellent stopping power. Btw, I am told that Mintex is gaining ground in Nascar, espically on the short track setups: that seems to be one of the brake secrets of some of the teams.

Chuck,

Who did you purchase your Mintex M1166 compound pads from? I am glad to here they perform so well. I have been reading a lot about Mintex pads and love the M1144 compound on my street car.

------------------
David Russell
'80 ITB Volvo 242 under construction
[email protected]

chuck baader
10-28-2002, 07:12 PM
david...contact Jerry Thomas at 800-321-0784
e-mail address is: [email protected]
he can either provide you with a dealer or with the pads that you want. i have also used the 1144 on the street, and i was very impressed. (btw, jerry is in charge of motorsports for SACHS, North America)

------------------
Chuck Baader
SEDIV ITS #36
E30 BMW

chuck baader
10-29-2002, 04:05 PM
derek- e-mail me directly..have something you will want. [email protected]

------------------
Chuck Baader
SEDIV ITS #36
E30 BMW