PDA

View Full Version : IT 318 - 325 conversion?

Scott Hulan
10-25-2002, 12:02 AM
Is it legal in SCCA IT to change a E30 318 chassis to 325 specs? If this change is made do you have to take the entire drivetrain from the 325?

I know I need a GCR, but I currently run a Trans Am under CACC rules here in Canada, which has to run ITE in North Pacific against high dollar 911/Z06,etc. I would like a more competitive/cheaper class and found a 85 318 with a dead drivetrain.

The fact that I'm a BMW tech makes the car choice simple, finding the parts is not an issue.

TIA

chuck baader
10-25-2002, 06:57 AM
per the first page of IT rules, the vehicle number must match the class..answer, no.

------------------
Chuck Baader
SEDIV ITS #36
E30 BMW

Knestis
10-25-2002, 08:56 AM
Not a BMW expert by any means but, FWIW, the 318 might well be a good ITB car. I didn't really think about that option until it came up in a topic here a few weeks ago but the numbers look sound...

Kirk

zracer22
10-25-2002, 09:00 AM
Legal? NO
Does this type of thing happen? Yes
Would you ever get caught? Extremely doubtful?

You can swap the most noticable VIM plates, and no one would ever know, or care.

Yes, you would have to use the entire 325i drivetrain.

Would I do such a thing? Well, thanks to Chuck Baader I didn't have to.
Thanks again Chuck!!!

BTW Chuck, I've run 1 SCCA race and 2 NASA races with the car. I've finished 3rd in SCCA and two wins with NASA.

zracer22
10-25-2002, 09:02 AM
The 318 is a great ITB car. I may be building one this winter.

mlytle
10-25-2002, 10:57 AM
the eternal question..why build?
there is an already built 318 e30 itb car for sale here in the washington dc area. most all the nice parts (gc/ad suspension, rebuilt motor with zero races, lots of wheels, etc). think he only wants $6500 for it. i will have to dig around a bit to find the website for the car (if anyone is interested).

marshall

Scott Hulan
10-25-2002, 06:30 PM
Thanks for your response;

I kind of figured that this sort of thing wasn't allowed, just asking.

Picked up the car anyways, guy wanted to get rid of it, paid $500 Canadian for it (Like 300 bucks US), rust free, runs good but needs brakes, ball joints, etc. It's an auto as well so I'll probably fix it and give it to my girlfriend.

Looks like I'll have to put a A-Sedan legal motor into my T/A, unless you guy know who wants to trade a good A/S roller for a good IT BMW http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif