PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Rust

dpmurray
09-05-2002, 09:00 AM
Well my ITB 2002 project car has a growing amount of rust.

When I got the car it appeared to be a small hole in the driver's side floor. When I pulled the carpets some of the floor went too.

Now several more holes have appeared from the work going on with the car.

Last night I noticed some rust on the inside of the frame rail.

At what point do I call it a loss and dump the car? What is safe to replace in the floor with the knowledge the cage has to attach in this area?

My goal is to build a safe car...but this worries me.

Dennis

Dave Ebersole
09-05-2002, 12:38 PM
You need to completely stip the floor material down to the metal to evaluate the car. Floor sections are available from Maximillian Importing, and properly repaired, would be strong enough, if you tie the cage mounting point into the inner rocker panel. How are the shock towers? How are the front frame rails?
Dave
O=00=O

dpmurray
09-05-2002, 01:09 PM
Shock towers in the rear are excellent. In the front they seem to be okay but that area is fairly dirty and hard to tell at this point.

I think the front frame rails are okay but I need to take a closer look this weekend.

Dennis

BMW RACER
09-05-2002, 03:32 PM
Ahh Rust!! The good Lords acid dipping!! Thats why I moved from England to Southern California. I'm still racing my '70 2002 with hardly a spot of rust. Good luck with you project. Mail me at [email protected] If you need some help.

pewsung
09-06-2002, 07:57 AM
Check under the master cyclinder the brake fluid loves to eat the frame rail. Can be hard to see, poke at it with a screwdriver.