PDA

View Full Version : Rear E-30 rotors

Mark
08-07-2002, 10:51 PM
Anyone have any problems with the rear rotors on the E-30? After my first driving school, I heard a noise in the back and one of the rotors had a crack. I pulled them both off and they were split 5 times around. I know they were thick enough, but I was wondering about the age factor. Or do I have further problems?

Bruce Shafer
08-08-2002, 11:08 AM
I ran an E30 for over three years and think I only replaced rear rotors once (the fronts are another story). I think you need to look further because something else is definitely wrong. How old were the rotors that cracked?

Mark
08-08-2002, 06:16 PM
They were quite old, however I took them to be turned before the school and they were plenty thick. I guess we will see what happens to these new ones. At $8.00 a rotor it will not cut into my budget too much.

James Clay
08-08-2002, 06:33 PM
If you can find them for $8 new, they should be replaced instead of turned! Never turn racecar rotors. Also, replace with a good brand - Zimmerman, Balo, Ate. Safety is worth more than a few $$$. A broken rotor can quickly turn into a totaled car.

------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------
James Clay
http://www.bimmerworld.com
Engineered BMW Performance
World Challenge/SCCA/BMWCCA Racecar Rental
Genuine OEM and Used BMW Parts
(540) 639-9648
-----------------------------------------------------------

Bruce Shafer
08-09-2002, 12:59 PM
If they are $8 new, then that is the most likely the problem. Any of the reputable brands will charge between $29 and $39 each. I was using Brembo rotors and there is a difference.