PDA

View Full Version : E30 rear subframe removal

zracer22
06-05-2002, 05:31 PM
I am replacing the subframe bushings. I had to use a gear puller to remove the subframe. Instead of removing the old stock bushings with the subframe, the stock bushings seperated, leaving the rubber stuck to the subframe and the metal sleeves stuck on the car. I sant find a gear puller that can cath hold of the metal sleeves. How can I get those &^%$&$!#! things off?

James Clay
06-05-2002, 06:00 PM
Good luck! If they are in there enough to separate, you are probably in for some fun. The aluminum insert loves to sieze to the steel of the body. We have had this happen with two cars, ended up breaking the insert off inside the car. Removed with a dremel and screwdriver, one small chunk at a time.

James

------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------
James Clay
http://www.bimmerworld.com
Engineered BMW Performance
BMWCCA/SCCA Racecar Rental
Genuine OEM and Used BMW Parts
(540) 639-9648

zracer22
06-05-2002, 06:41 PM
James,
Thanks for those words of encouragement! I am really looking forward to it now. Yeah, yeah, I know, "The satisfaction of a job well done"

I sure hope someone has a better answer than James!!!

James Clay
06-05-2002, 06:46 PM
It only took about 2 hours... Once you start getting the chunks to pop out, they come out nicely.

James

------------------
James Clay
http://www.bimmerworld.com
Engineered BMW Performance
World Challenge/SCCA/BMWCCA Racecar Rental
Genuine OEM and Used BMW Parts
(540) 639-9648

zracer22
06-05-2002, 07:49 PM
I was thinking about using a couple M-80s, but that might not work so well with the gas tank so close.

[This message has been edited by zracer22 (edited June 05, 2002).]

GKR_17
06-08-2002, 12:00 PM
You might try heating it with a propane torch, but like you said, watch out for the gas tank.

Grafton