PDA

View Full Version : 2002s in ITB?

pallison14
04-16-2002, 11:05 PM
Hi gang,

I'm preparing my 1971 2002 for ITB class. Anyone in here have theirs set up? I'm going to have to replace my camshaft anyways, and was wondering how aggressive I could be in swapping it out?

I'm also considering changing to a Pertronix Electronic Ignition -- does anyone know if this is legal? I've looked through GCR PDFs, and haven't been able to determine anything.

Thanks heaps!
- Paul

Dave Ebersole
04-16-2002, 11:15 PM
Paul, As far as cams go, you can aggresively swap it with another totally stock cam. The Pertronix is legal.
Dave
O=00=O

pallison14
04-16-2002, 11:27 PM
D'oh! :P

At least the Pertronix is legal -- I suppose 1 out of 2 ain't bad.

Do you run a 2002? I'm trying to figure out what suspension set up is the best. I talked to someone who claimed to run coilovers in ITB -- but I thought this was illegal?

Thanks for the quick reply!
- Paul

Originally posted by Dave Ebersole:
Paul, As far as cams go, you can aggresively swap it with another totally stock cam. The Pertronix is legal.
Dave
O=00=O

[This message has been edited by pallison14 (edited April 16, 2002).]

Dave Ebersole
04-17-2002, 10:41 AM
Paul, I do run an '02 in ITB. The whole coilover thing is kind of a joke, really. You cannot run a real, true coilover strut. What you can do, and 99.9% of cars do, is modify your strut.
Rule 5.b.2 allows you to substitute your strut, so you are using a strut modified with a collar welded to it. This rule also allows you to alter spring seat ride height location. Your threaded "coilover" piece sits on the welded collar, not permanently attached to it, because Rule 5.b.5 forbids it, but it is, essentially, a coilover strut.
A good place to contact for '02 ITB stuff is Ireland Engineering in CA. If you have any specific questions, you can email me at [email protected]. I'll tell you what I did with the disclaimer that I don't always know what I'm doing.
Dave
O=00=O

zracer22
04-17-2002, 12:24 PM
Paul,
Sounds like you need to get a GCR. I wouldn't do a thing to the car until I was very familiar with the IT rules in the GCR. Having to undo and redo work really sucks!

BMW RACER
04-17-2002, 04:54 PM
Paul. Welcome to the cause, for suspension stuff you might also try Darren Young at Artspeed, 310-575-4445 he's helped out a lot of 2002 guys, myself included.

ok_20_02
04-18-2002, 11:39 PM
I have set my car up similar to IT rules (local rules are different). I have 300lb coilover front with 350lb springs on the rear.

My question is: should I be looking at correcting roll centre in front? I have heard of using plates between the strut and stering arm to change the angle of the lower control. With the lower springs, there seems to be more induced bump steer.

Will

ITB2002
04-19-2002, 02:13 AM
Paul, here are some specs on mine http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/frown.gifPS it's for sale)
71 2002 BMW ITB (SCCA) (round taillights)
Custom welded 8-point cage by Rids Engineering, Shocks: Bilsteins. Revalved custom by Rids Engineering, Springs: Eilbach Front:375#, Rear:375# customized for 2002, Sway bars: Front:25.5, Rear: 22.5 from Ireland,Stress bar: Connected to shock towers, Camber and Caster plates: by Rids Engineering, Brakes: Stainless steel braided lines, Custom front braked duct plates/cooling. Hawks pads, custom rear brake shoes. Stahl Headers, Rebello engine and carburetor, Borla exhaust, 215mm clutch, System Earl oil system, oil cooler, Behr aluminum radiator, all Earl plumbing, ITG air filter. 4.10 locked diff by Rids Engineering, new wheel bearings, new stub axles, 2001 Annual tech, all upgrades (kill switch, fuel port etc...) Wink mirror, VDO and Autometer gauges and Tach/shift light. 8 Panasports ultra light wheels, wheel studs, 4 tires with1 race: Perfect, 4 tires good for practice. Pictures here: http://www.roadracingvideos.com/bmw2002.htm
As mentioned above Darren is a good source of info, also try Tom Cleave (310)821-5050: He built most of the fastest 2002's in SoCal
Vincent

ITB2002
04-19-2002, 12:38 PM
Hey "BMW RACER" can you email me directly here: [email protected]
Got a few questions
Thanks
Vincent
http://www.roadracingvideos.com/

ok_20_02
05-04-2002, 01:48 AM
With lowered 2002s, should I be looking at correcting roll centre in front? I have heard of using plates between the strut and stering arm to change the angle of the lower control. With the lower springs, there seems to be more induced bump steer.

Will

Knestis
05-04-2002, 10:51 AM
Assuming that your rules are different enough from IT to allow it, you should think about it. RC height and bumpsteer corrections - they are different things caused by similar geometry changes - can be really helpful but you won't (shouldn't?!)find them on IT cars. You might try the Production BB, since modifications like that are allowed in that category, and more people are building Production 2002s. See...

http://members.boardhost.com/salisbury_j/

Good luck!

Kirk