PDA

View Full Version : E30, 325i

Woody
04-02-2002, 11:01 PM
HI,

First I will say I am new to this board and to IT racing.(currently and always will be an open wheel guy) So any info will be appreciated. This question is sort of directed to those who race E30's in ITS. I am considerdering building a 325i for ITS. So I was curious if some of you currently racing them could give me an opinion on how competitive your cars are in comparison to other cars in this class. I always see alot of RX7's and know there some E36's out there.
Are the well prepared E30's competitive? Thanks in advance, this site seems to have a ton of information.

Woody

mlytle
04-03-2002, 12:24 AM
the perception seems to be that the e36 is one of the cars to beat in its. the e30 used to be. seen a bunch of nice e30 race cars for sale lately if that means anything. i wouldn't bother to build another one with so many good ones already available.

then again, i probably don't know what i am talking about. i am just starting to race and bought an e30 "pre-built" last summer. not concerned with being top dog in class, just out to have some fun! :-)

marshall
88 its e30
88 auto-x e30
97 m3 for everything else

CrunchyFrog
04-08-2002, 12:50 PM
I will speak for some rends who have raced the e30...

They are fast and very stable, there are allot fo things you can do to the car to make them handle the same as an M3.

The gripes and groans typically are:

1. not enough power
2. not enough brake for some courses

Still, if you regularly race in your region - most of the time a well piloted e30 will win it's share of races, and only if you plan to go to the ARRC will it seem unfair.

Do you want to have a competitive car or a dominating car? Even a guy in a dominant car won't win all the time.

K

zracer22
04-08-2002, 10:19 PM
Last year was my first year racing my E30 325is. I ran mid-pack all season, with a 190,000 mile engine in the car. I used porterfield E4 compound brake pads and never had any problems. In fact, I could go deeper into any corner than most cars on the track. Brakes never got too hot, and I don't have any ducting to the brakes. As far as power, with my new balanced and blueprinted engine I should be in the front pack consistently. I had no DNFs in 10 starts and did nothing but 1 brake change all season. The car is a blast to drive, super dependable, and competitive.

CrunchyFrog
04-09-2002, 03:25 PM
I hate to sound big headed - but unless you have raced on a track like Blackhawk or Road America you have no idea how good or bad your brakes can be - and at these tracks, the best drivers I know had problems.

Now, don't get me wrong BMW stock brakes are the very best in the industry - very high quality for the weight and power of the vehicle - they out perform any other brand substantially, but this time I am referring to the rate of speed loss as opposed to their ability to withstand heat.

K