PDA

View Full Version : Engine mounts

zracer22
03-11-2002, 06:09 PM
Last year a used stock engine mounts on my E30 325is. They worked just fine until I hit the apex of the Kink at Nelsons. The engine moved so far that the power steering pully cut the lower radiator hose. Does anyone know of a vendor that sells all metal mounts?

Bruce Shafer
03-11-2002, 07:58 PM
Get two new E30 mounts, cut off the studs, and drill completely through the mount. Get a nice long grade 8 or better bolt the same length as the mount and studs. Install the assembly and use a self locking nut. This meets the letter of the rules, i.e. it is not a solid mount. This will save you untold amounts of money and grief.

530i (E12) mounts will also work, but they will have to be changed at least once a year. They are a bit more robust than the standard E30 mounts.

GKR_17
03-20-2002, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Bruce Shafer:
This meets the letter of the rules, i.e. it is not a solid mount.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall the ITCS allowing different motor mounts. The fact that they are not solid doesn't matter, they're still not stock. If the rules don't specifically say you can, then you can't.

Grafton

joeg
03-20-2002, 04:08 PM
I think the bolt suggestion may qualify as a (permissible) "engine stayrod" (?)

Cheers.

Bruce Shafer
03-20-2002, 07:52 PM
It is the factory E30 motor mount, that is indisputable.

It's up to zracer22 to decide if he wants to use this method.

Bruce Shafer
03-20-2002, 07:54 PM
It is the factory E30 motor mount, that is indisputable.

It's up to zracer22 to decide if he wants to use this method.

chuck baader
04-09-2002, 03:19 PM
bruce, in a semi-related vein, do you have good part numbers for the motor mounts..my supplier (wholesale) indicates the numbers on the cd are euro numbers. also, the cd lists a cup to stablize the motor mount-know anything about these..thanks,

------------------
Chuck Baader
SEDIV ITS #36
E30 BMW