PDA

View Full Version : E30 325i engine rebuild SNAFU

zracer22
01-22-2002, 05:16 PM
My engine builder called me the other day to tell me that I need to get the bearings for the intermediate shaft. He is in the process of balancing and blue-printing my engine for the 2002 race season. I had already given him the rod and main bearings but overlooked the intermediate bearings. So today, (after hours of internet searching)I go to my local BMW dealer. The guys at the parts dept couldn't find any reference to these bearings in their computer, so the call BMW North America. BMW NA says that the bearing are considered to be part of the engine block, and the only way to get the bearings is to buy a new block. My reply was, "Get the F#%& out!" I suggested that we try finding the bearings for a 325e instead of a 325i(afterall, the blocks are the same). Turns out that the bearings are available for the "e", and they are not considered to be part of the block. But the bearings aren't on the diagram of the 325e in the BMW Parts locator, you just have to know that they are there. I went ahead and ordered the 325e bearings, hoping that they will fit. Both engines have the same intermediate shaft, so the I.D. of the bearings should be the same, I would think that the O.D. should be the same.

Has anyone else come across this problem, and if so, what bearings did you use?

NoRaceCarYet
01-22-2002, 06:03 PM
Zracer22 the absolute best guy for this (amoung others I'm sure) is Ben Thongsai in Chicago..

Drop him a line at: (708) 450-0300

Tell him you are a Racer and are building and e30 ITS car.

Good Luck,

Kieran (you can mention me if he asks - he works on my Father's M3 and is an old friend of mine.)

BMW RACER
01-22-2002, 10:53 PM
Hey Z Racer, I checked and your right about the bearing not showing up on the parts C.D. The intermediate shaft is also a different part # that doesn't neccesarilly mean they are different, BMW changes part #'s for all sorts of reasons. The question I have is, why do you need to change those bearings? I've never seen them wear out. I don't have the specs handy, maybe your engine guy is going overkill, still I suppose that beats underkill. Good luck.
John Norris

zracer22
01-23-2002, 02:31 PM
John,
My engine guy tanked (acid bath) the block. The bearings had to come out for that. The bearings weren't wore out, in fact they were in great shape along with main and rod bearings. I'll let you guys know if the 325e bearings work or not. Thanks the info.
Mark

chuck baader
01-23-2002, 06:36 PM
found out the same thing when i removed the bearings from my block...dented one slightly when removing to tank the motor. ran into the same roadblock when trying to find new, and ended up using the same ones after several hours of hand fitting/scraping, etc. my only other option was to purchase a used block from my local yard (90% of the "i" blocks are scrapped because the head is sold) and use the bearings from that block with the intermediate shaft. either way, it makes for an expensive set of bearings--hope your builder is paying!!

------------------
Chuck Baader
SEDIV ITS #36
E30 BMW

James Clay
01-23-2002, 06:58 PM
If you are near VA or want to pay for freight, we have a bottom end around...

James Clay
www.bimmerworld.com (http://www.bimmerworld.com)

zracer22
01-23-2002, 07:51 PM
Chuck,
Did you try the bearings from a 325e? I ordered a set 325e bearings from local BMW dealership, I will have them Monday and will know by lunch time Tuesday if they will work.

chuck baader
01-24-2002, 05:46 PM
zracer, did not think of that option. let us all know if it works---knowing bmw, they may have changed the gear ratio to the oil pump in their superior wisdom http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

------------------
Chuck Baader
SEDIV ITS #36
E30 BMW

zracer22
02-03-2002, 12:21 AM
YES!!! It worked!!!

zracer22
02-14-2002, 08:17 PM
*****UPDATE*****

Just spoke to my engine builder. The bearings pressed into the block OK, but the ID of the bearings are.008 to small. Turns out that in the BMW factory, the press the bearings into the block and then they do an inline bore thru the bearings to finish the OD.

chuck baader
02-14-2002, 09:50 PM
sounds like it is time to head to the junk yard and try and find a set..let me know, as my local yard has several blocks in the scrap pile and i may be able to pull the shaft and bearings for [email protected]

------------------
Chuck Baader
SEDIV ITS #36
E30 BMW

zracer22
02-15-2002, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the offer Chuck. The new bearings are already pressed in and the block was sent for the in=line bore. The extra process is only costing an additional $130. Much better than buying a new block, and if this is the only problem I have with a complete B&B rebuild, I won't complain.

Oldmacd
03-27-2002, 06:50 PM
Chuck:

I am also in the same position as you. My engine builder has tanked my block and I now need the idler shaft bearings. Can you let me know what the part number you used was. Like you said, its not in the ETK. I appreciate your help.

Scott

zracer22
03-27-2002, 08:17 PM
Scott
It was me that had this done, not Chuck. I don't know the part numbers, but you need to get the bearings for the 325e. The guys at BMW dealership can get the numbers. But....these are special bearings. They will press right into the block, but the IDs aren't finished. Your engine builder will have to press in the bearings and then line-hone the IDs. It's a real pain in the ass. BMWs and Mercedes do this with most of the engines. If you have any questions, email me.
[email protected]

Hope this helps.
Mark

[This message has been edited by zracer22 (edited March 27, 2002).]