PDA

View Full Version : Getting rear wheels to hook up.

zracer22
02-27-2002, 08:18 PM
Last year I ran Ground Control sway bars front and rear on my E30 325is. I played with the springs and tire pressure all season, but found no solution to my problem of not being able to get on the throttle as soon as I'd like to coming out of a corner. This year I'm planning on running without the rear sway bar. Will this help? Has anyone tried this with good or bad results?

James Clay
02-27-2002, 08:23 PM
We ran no rear bar at the end of last year. Tried some stiffer springs last weekend, still no rear bar - .3 seconds off the track record at Roebling with old Toyos. I think it is definitely the way to go - we are on the power way earlier.

------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------
James Clay
<A HREF="http://www.bimmerworld.com
" TARGET=_blank>http://www.bimmerworld.com
</A> Engineered BMW Performance
BMWCCA/SCCA Racecar Rental
Genuine OEM and Used BMW Parts
(540) 639-9648
-----------------------------------------------------------

zracer22
02-27-2002, 08:32 PM
That is great news. Thanks for sharing your speed secret. I look for you in the Roebling record book at the end of the season. Good luck and thanks again.

CrunchyFrog
02-28-2002, 03:14 PM
Zracer22, what's your LSD?

zracer22
02-28-2002, 04:09 PM
I'm using a stock LSD 4.10 out of an E30 M3

CrunchyFrog
02-28-2002, 08:48 PM

[This message has been edited by CrunchyFrog (edited February 28, 2002).]

CrunchyFrog
02-28-2002, 08:49 PM
Should be enough.... Have you re-built it?

Let me know if you haven't I know a guy.. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/tongue.gif

[email protected]

zracer22
02-28-2002, 08:55 PM
Done, Hoss's Gear Shop. A good ole boy who really knows his sh$%!

Bruce Shafer
03-01-2002, 09:51 AM
Sounds like you are going in the right direction with the suspension to cure the wheelspin problem, but there must be something else going on. Getting on the power early should not be an issue with this car. Could the differential be opening up and slipping when it gets hot? Could the suspension be binding somehow?

I ran an E30 down here in the SouthEast for 3.5 years and getting on the power early and/or wheelspin was about the only thing I didn't have to worry about.

CrunchyFrog
03-01-2002, 02:10 PM
I completely agree with Bruce Shafer on this...

What is your rear sway bar now? How big is your front bar? Spring Rates? It really sounds as though the car isn't sitting at "power on".

My father and I used to run an E30 M3... as Bruce Shafer says - wheel spin wasn't an issue, and I know the 4cyl isn't a torque monster, but built up it had more power than you're ever going to get from that 2.5-6.

James' idea of no rear bar in the e30 sounds interesting and his cars are fast, but with this car front affects rear...

19mm rear bar should be OK with 400-600# springs... as long as your front are 400-600# too...

What sort of camber do you have in the rear?
How slow are these corners?
How old are your tires?
How much power do you have?

Other_K