PDA

View Full Version : Front Suspension

E30 Ray
02-03-2002, 11:32 PM
I'm installing a race suspension in an '89 325is. I've completed the rear and I am now tackling the front. While I've got it in pieces, I'm also replacing the control arms. Anyone have any headaches tht I should worry about when replacing the cotrol arms? Any tips to make the job easier? I've got the suspension out, now its time to put it all back together again.

I'm replacing the control arm bushings with race bearings. That should make one aspect of the job easier.

zracer22
02-04-2002, 12:39 AM
Actually, getting the old off the car was far more difficult than putting the new stuff on the car. The ball joint kept spinning while trying to take the nut off. Are you using a coil-over kit? Are you shortening the strut housing? If so, straight cuts and perfect welds. Use the solid offset control arm bushings. (Got mine from ground control) Ground Control Caster-Camber plates are excellent, well worth the $300. Also, don't go to stiff on your springs. I ran 550 fron and 650 rear last year. Worked great at Mid-Ohio, but sucked at Nelsons. I will run much softer and Nelsons this year, 450 all around.

Good Luck Ray

mlytle
02-04-2002, 11:36 AM
i have had good luck in countering the "bearing/bushing spinning while trying to get the nut off" problem by putting a jack under the thing and putting some upward pressure on the part. this creates enough friction to hold the bolt while you undo the nut. be carefull not to lift the car off of whatever you have holding it up for safety reasons...

what suspension did you decide on ray?

E30 Ray
02-09-2002, 03:55 PM
Sorry for the lack of reply on my part, I've been in California for awhile.

I had no trouble getting the old suspension out. So far so good.

The rear is done and went together easily.

I'm installing a set-up that was recommended by James Clay at Bimmerworld. He put all the parts together for me. I've got 350 front and 550 back (without a rear stabilizer bar). Yes, I am cutting the strut housings and welding a new spring support on the original housing. I don't think I'd be IT legal if I didn't cut the supports and re-weld them. I should have the welding done this week. I'm having a pro do it.

I'm also using the solid control arm bearings from Ground Control and their caser/camber plates.

Marshall, maybe I'll be able to keep up to you this year. Are you racing at Summit in April?

mlytle
02-10-2002, 10:43 AM
hi ray!
yup, should be there! i replied to your home.com address.
marshall

Originally posted by E30 Ray:
Marshall, maybe I'll be able to keep up to you this year. Are you racing at Summit in April?[/B]