PDA

View Full Version : '72 2002 a competitive IT car?

Chris Sawatsky
12-18-2001, 03:55 PM
One of my friends has a '72 2002 that he wants to setup for racing IT next season. It already has bilstein shocks, h&r springs, poly bushings, volvo four piston brakes in front (is this IT legal?) and it will be rolling on 15" wheels with toyo ra1's (we race with WCMA, so 15" is legal)
Now, WCMA has a catch class called ITGT that is for cars that don't fit IT but aren't fast enough for GT, and we're considering putting a baby6 in the car so it can at least keep up to the IT pack.

What's involved in making a car like this competitive with the other cars that will be running IT?

Thanks!

plank
12-18-2001, 04:18 PM
Chris,

If you can get hold of Dave Farnsworth he can tell you. He runs a 72 2002 at Midwestern Council and won 11 of 12 races in ITB. I know he easily gets to 1:28 at Blackhawk. The car can be fast if driven well. Try doing a search for the Midwestern Council of Sports car clubs website and you can see all the results and at least find out where he lives, somewhere near Chicago, I think.

D Plank

NoRaceCarYet
12-18-2001, 07:36 PM
Of course!

Only reason we don't see more at the ARRC is that they're all out here in California winning races!

Dave Farnsworth is a great guy, a wonderful man, and a gentleman racer, he and his car and now his Son Matt too have been racing together since the early eighties.

Another good source, the best I know, is Jeff Ireland at Ireland Engineering in California http://www.bmw2002.com/

K

nlevine
01-04-2002, 06:56 PM
For SCCA ITB, you'd need to lose the Volvo brakes and the 15" wheels. Brakes must be the stock configuration - solid rotors up front and rear drums - with stock calipers. Wheel diameter must also be stock, but you're allowed to go up to 6" wide.

-noam (former 2002 racer now in Honda land)