PDA

View Full Version : E30 325is minimum weight

zracer22
12-28-2001, 06:53 PM
Anyone here that races an E30 325is, did you get your car down to minimun weight. I still can loose another 215#. I weigh 248# and plan to loose 15 ;-), so the car only needs to lose 200#. All sound deadening material has been removed from the floor, trunk and firewall, I will be running hoosiers instead of BFGs. I still run a stock gas tank, I'm not sure how much weight loss if any would occur if a remove it and go with a Fuel Cell. I kinda like have the weight of the tank and fuel low to the ground and in the middle of the car. I'm not sure if I would save enough weight to balance the loss of moving the center of gravity to a high point in the car.

mlytle
12-28-2001, 09:26 PM
you can definitely get it down to weight. mine is so light it needs to carry a spare tire and 100 lbs of ballast with an approx 200lb driver. stock gas tank still in. all sound insulation removed, as is most all of the interior. i am actually looking for parts to put back on the car to get UP to weight. that driver was the previous owner, I am about 15 less than he was....:-)

marshall
88 325is

BMW RACER
12-29-2001, 02:28 PM
Hey guys. This is my first post on this great site. I used to race an E-30 that was allways under weight, we had to add extra roll cage tubing!! Had a stock tank and Toyos. It was kinda frustrating I'd see some cool carbon fiber light weight widget that would be fun to have but it never made sense. The car is still racing on the East Coast #07 white with red/green/blue/stipes & checkers, let me know if you see it, that was a fun car (building an E-36 now)

------------------

chuck baader
12-30-2001, 11:22 AM
glad to see there are other dimensionally challenged drivers out there (i weigh 270) when i converted my car, i had the underweight problem also-had to add roll cage tubing also, and still must carry an extra 50# in the passenger foot well to make weight. if i went as far as possible, i could probably race this car at 2550 with me in it- boy, wouldn't that be a trip!?! good racing-

------------------
Chuck Baader
SEDIV ITS #36
E30 BMW