PDA

View Full Version : Disconnecting ABS in a '89 325is

E30 Ray
11-30-2001, 11:44 PM
To disconnect the ABS for an SCCA race school, I pulled the sensor connection plug on the left sid of the eengine compartment and the ABS shut down. The brakes worked. I only locked them badly once or twice (I think).

With the ABS disconnected in this manner, are the brakes operating properly? If not, what would be a proper way to disable the ABS. I've had alot of suggestions including pulling the sensor plug, replacing the master cylinder assembly with one from a non-ABS BMW, installing a brake bias control, and so on.

Does anyone out there have an optimal solution for an IT BMW?

--Ray

mlytle
12-01-2001, 10:24 PM
maybe not the optimum, but the ultimate is to take it all out. no sensors, no relay, no pump...ends up pretty disabled!

like the po did on my car. :-)

marshall

chuck baader
12-02-2001, 10:31 AM
ray-good suggestion-remove everything! get the weight off the left front of the car for better ballance. replumb underhood with the stock master cylinder, and be sure to remove the rear porportioning valve located on the firewall next to the left front fendeder. then add a bias valve on the transmission tunnel next to the gear lever so it can be adjusted on the track.(obviously you will have to run the rear brake line through the passenger compartment, and out on the seat support, close to the "T" for the rear brakes) that is what i have done, and it works very well. good racing, chuck

zracer22
12-11-2001, 08:44 PM
I have done the same as chuck, but left the rear proportionong valve. Works great.