PDA

View Full Version : blew my engine

rsx858
07-25-2005, 07:57 PM
well i was at my first race this past weekend at the glen and disaster struck

i was checking my gauges every lap making sure my oil temps didnt get too high and all of a sudden something went wrong and the oil temp suddenly skyrocketed to tempuratures that my gauge wasent even built for. By the time i noticed, my engine died and i pulled it off to the side. after the tow back to the paddock i saw oil dripping all over the place.
I assume that my engine is completly dead. i have yet to do a full inspection to see what caused my temps to go out of control. I assume i lost oil pressure and that killed it.
my question is: what can be salvaged from the motor? can it be rebuilt or should i find i new one?
thanks

crushed
07-25-2005, 08:48 PM
You can probably salvage whatever half of the engine didn't blow up.

where was the oil coming from? That's kind of strange for a rotary. any chance you can post some pics?

------------------
Russ Marshall
#31 IT-7

instigator
07-25-2005, 11:13 PM
The most common problem is that the front o-ring in the timing cover blows out.You loose all oil presure when this happens. If the engine did not lock up you may just need to inspect bearings and a new oil pump with a master seal kit.

joeg
07-26-2005, 07:04 AM
You should just re-fill and see if it will start.

steve s
07-26-2005, 06:41 PM
most likely you probably leaned out the engine. i would guess you may have spun the rotor bearing. if the oil temp went as high as you said it did.if in fact you did spit out the front seal [which i don't think you did] you should still check the bearings for damage. cheap insurance to checknow than to be sorry later.

------------------
steve saney
it-7 /it-a #34

rsx858
07-28-2005, 11:03 AM
do you guys know any good places to have the engine rebuilt? im located in new jersey

benracin
07-28-2005, 12:11 PM
Is it really cheaper to rebuild one of these motors instead of just grabbing one at a junk yard? I thought the last time I checked a gasket kit was over $700 or something crazy like that. Can you reuse a lot of the gaskets? Rebuilding a rotory would be a fun challenge.

rsx858
07-28-2005, 02:08 PM
yea im debating which option is the best Im not sure if my collection of spares is complete enough to justify rebuilding this motor. junkyard might be the way to go

22timber
07-28-2005, 06:04 PM
Bret DePedro of RP Performance in Manassas VA does a great job rebuilding rotaries.

Mark Lapos
ITS #23

lateapex911
07-28-2005, 06:38 PM
be careful...

the $700 or so price isn't just gaskets...it includes things like seals..APEX seals, and side seals and all sorts of things like that.

So you are getting lots of stuff for your $.

But, the housings, rotors and sideplates must be in very good shape if the engine is to perform and last.

Count on needing to spend more as it's unlikely you will have all the parts in perfect condition.

THen plan on the cost associated with a break in day at the track...the transportation, the lodging, the brake wear, the tire heat cycles, and so on.

Even a home built rebuild can be significant money.

Now, a junkyard motor won't need a break in, but the power and longevity are a crap shoot.

As a point of reference, Mike Van Steenburg at ISC in Florida sold one recently for about $3K, and it included the baffled oil tank, small pulley, and all the "tricks" internally, and the flywheel and balancing.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

dyoungre
07-29-2005, 08:30 AM
RSX858,
Where in NJ are you? Shoot me an email at [email protected]

------------------
Dave Youngren