PDA

View Full Version : Big hole in exhaust... repair thoughts?

rsx858
07-19-2005, 10:51 PM
so i was at a watkins glen track day today. sometime near the end of the first session my car's exhaust note went through the roof. I took the car to the paddock and jacked it up and there was a big chunk of metal peeled down from my exhaust creating a hole roughly the diameter of a quarter. As far as i can tell, the result would only be power loss and a car that sounds like i dropped in a v8. I was able to finish out the day without problem.
I was wondering whats the best approach to repairing the exhaust. Iv heard that there is special strong high temp tape made for such damage but im very reluctant to trust that. is the best route to have a patch welded on?
I will also need a quick fix because my first race is this weekend at the glen
thanks a lot
-matt

MaxEnergy
07-20-2005, 12:06 AM
What part of the exhaust is the hole in? Does it have a header?

Marcus Miller
07-20-2005, 01:13 AM
Tape likely won't hold at a rotary's exhaust temp, (at least not for long) tech fully welcomed to prove me wrong! (I hope I am, as its just a gut instinct.)

I think the best option would be a welded patch, or welded replacment pipe.

Marcus

[This message has been edited by Marcus Miller (edited July 20, 2005).]

rsx858
07-20-2005, 12:57 PM
the hole is past the header in the canister that i guess creates back pressure? im hoping that this section of the exhaust is less hot and that this tape can work for at least this weekend

joeg
07-20-2005, 01:29 PM
Tape will not work.

If you can't weld it, make a metal patch to cover the hole and secure it with a couple of big hose clamps.

There are hose clamps big enough at a Home Depot.

Good Luck

rsx858
07-20-2005, 07:23 PM
thanks

MMiskoe
07-21-2005, 09:56 PM
Geeze, am I the only hick who grew up on the farm & used empty soda cans & a pair of hose clamps to cover up cracks & holes in the tractor exhaust? Soup cans work too, and last longer, but there are usually more empty beer cans on the floor of the hay truck and soup cans.

joeg
07-22-2005, 08:04 AM
Miskoe--Read up a couple of posts...I made a "similar" suggestion.

However, when it comes to a rotary exhaust, I would not go near pop or beer cans because they are "too thin" aluminum.

I prefer good thick soup cans, but for a rotary, they may not even suffice.

Cheers.

rsx858
07-22-2005, 10:43 AM
I opted for a coffee can -repair looks great. thanks for the advice