PDA

View Full Version : Break in procedures

MaxEnergy
07-07-2005, 08:58 AM
Anyone have a recommended break in procedure (track time, not dyno)for an ITS 13B engine. I just finished a rebuild with good used housings and used rotors, new main and rotor bearings, new carbon apex seals, all new oil seals and orings. It started and idled on the first crank and i let it idle for about an hour watching temps and for leaks.

Thanks

------------------
Jamie Kekeisen
86 ITS RX-7 NER
92 325IS under construction

paulydee
07-07-2005, 10:10 AM
I just endured this procedure. I spent a few days at a VIR open track weekend. I kept the revs under 5000 RPM for three 25 minute sessions. After that short hard bursts of RPM in third gear. I was told not to do any long pulls (like down a long straight.) This procedure is supposed to seat the bearings well. Last session of the weekend was pretty much full on, keeping the revs below 8K.

Last weekend at MidOhio, it was full bore. Not sure if this is the proper procedure, but time was against me, and the engine seems to be running well so far.

Pauly D

Chris Wire
07-07-2005, 03:04 PM
I think that Mazda Motorsports lists the break-in procedures on the website somewhere. I seem to recall seeing them in the catalog years ago which I believe is now on the site in PDF format.

Doesn't require a dyno, but will chew up a good day so bring a book, cooler and find an area w/ no people around.

Good luck.

------------------
Chris Wire
Team Wire Racing
ITS Mazda RX7 #35
[email protected]

Eagle7
07-07-2005, 05:30 PM
I just did it this spring essentially like Pauly described. So far so good (3 race weekends). It's fairly consistent with the MazdaMotorsports recommendations.

------------------
Marty Doane
ITS RX-7 #13
CenDiv WMR