PDA

View Full Version : Master kill switch wiring

MaxEnergy
06-27-2005, 12:20 PM
My master kill switch does not kill the engine. The ignition switch will kill the engine but that totally defeats the purpose of the master kill. The master cuts all the power to the car before the engine is started but if the engine is running there must be a power loop via the alternator that is keeping the engine running. It seems like I need to run the ignitor power wire through the master kill.

Does anyone know how to wire a standard master kill to shut the engine down as well?

Thanks

Does anyone know

------------------
Jamie Kekeisen
86 ITS RX-7 NER
92 325IS under construction

seckerich
06-27-2005, 06:40 PM
You will need the kill switch with dual contactors. The main is for the battery cable, and the others are for the ignition circuit and a kill for alt if necessary.

Dick Elliott
06-28-2005, 08:30 PM
Your set-up will work just fine if you run the large #10 wire off the alternator directly to the battery and no where else. This way the alternator will be out of the system when you use the kill switch. Trust me on this. DICK.

MaxEnergy
06-30-2005, 06:11 PM
Well that was simple, thank you. I left the alternator harness wire alone, just removed it from the terminal and taped it up. Then I ran a large gauge wire from the alternator directly to the battery and the kill works perfectly.

------------------
Jamie Kekeisen
86 ITS RX-7 NER
92 325IS under construction

Dick Elliott
06-30-2005, 06:44 PM
I'm glad it worked out ok for you. Sometimes simple is better. The alt has to have a place to send that last spike of juice when you turn off the system, and what better place than the battery. Glad to help, DICK.