PDA

View Full Version : Miata "R" Spoiler Legal?

roadracer96
05-19-2005, 09:27 AM
According to the GCR it states that "dealer installed or limited production front/rear spoilers/air dams/wings are prohibited". 17.14.8.b

I am just wondering as I was reading the rules last night. Thoughts?

Scott Fredricksen

JeffYoung
05-19-2005, 09:51 AM
Intersting question. Depends on class I think. Spec Miata rules specifically allow it. For A and S, can't you run ANY front spoiler that that doesn't extend above the bumper or below the bottom of the rim?

So, I think the answer is yes, in S and A, but I also think there are "better" solutinons -- check out ISC Racing for one.

RacerBowie
05-19-2005, 12:36 PM
The R Package front dam is legal. In ITA, the rear lip spoiler is not. In ITS, if you started with an "R" package, you might be able to make an argument that it is legal. The question there is whether it came from the factory that way, or if the dealers installed that stuff. I don't know the answer to that one.

As to the ISC air dam. I heard a rumor they never finished development on it...but I could be wrong.

Bowie

Ron Earp
05-19-2005, 04:14 PM
I think the 99 R is specifically listed isn't it?

------------------
Ron Earp
NC Region
Ford Lightning
RF GT40 Replica
White Jensen-Healey ITS
Silver "Skull" 260Z ITS

roadracer96
05-19-2005, 06:06 PM
Bowie..what is the trick ECU for the miata? Is there one?

Scott

RacerBowie
05-20-2005, 07:08 AM
The classification is 94-95 (includes R). So if you want to run a 96 or 97, you will need to get them added. It doesn't specifically allow the R package trim stuff, so you still need to figure out if it was dealer installed. Beats me, other than racing them, and lusting after an '02 or '03 as a daily, I don't know too much about them.

Scott, what I have is just a stock ECU with the rev limiter bumped to 8,000 rpm. The car sounds stupid good at 8k, by the way, but isn't making a whole lot of power.

I know the Flyin' Miata computer will not legally work, as you have to bypass parts of the stock induction track.

I will be finding out if there is a "hot ticket" next week, in my search for more hp before the ARRC. I will report back if I find out anything cool...

Bowie

JeffYoung
05-20-2005, 09:30 AM
If it helps, I nearly bought a 94 Miata R off the showroom floor when I graduated from law school. I'll see if I still have the brochure around, but I am 99% sure it was a factory spoiler, not dealer. And Bowie is of course correct on the front/rear spoiler distinction -- I totally forgot about the rear. Fronts are free for all cars; you can only use the rear on the models that had it from the factory.

And it might not help anyway, as Bowie pointed out in another thread, the Miata has aero issues, not handling ones.

Crack Monkey
06-29-2005, 02:38 PM
SCCA Solo requires the R package trim on R package cars in Stock class, which leads me to believe the trim was factory installed.

If it were a dealer option, it would not be allowed in SCCA Solo Stock class competition.