PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Water Pump Housing..HELP!!

04-11-2005, 09:10 AM
Hi,

I had my first race yesterday, but over the weekend I developed a hairline crack in what I think is the water pump housing. Somebody at the track told me it was probably caused by the alternator belt being too tight, since the crack developed where the "pivot point" of the alternator is.

Is this common? Is there an easy repair (weld?) or should I replace it.

FWIW I finished over half the laps so I got a write off...5 more to go before I get rid of the "X".

Thanks,

Steve

joeg
04-11-2005, 09:55 AM
I have seen it happen on a Gen II, so it must not be a super rare occurence.

The guy who owned the car thought it may have been caused by his stree bar, but the alternator problem sounds very possible.
We were able to effect a very temporary repair with some JB Weld.

Good Luck in finding a new pump housing.

Cheers.

C. Ludwig
04-11-2005, 10:29 AM
If it's an S4 housing I should have them in spades. I'll send ya one for shipping costs if I indeed have one. email me [email protected]

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

04-11-2005, 01:09 PM
Hi,

I'm not sure what an S$ is, but I need the part that the water pump bolts in to. I also need gaskets for both sides. Please call my cell phone at 414-339-5084.

Steve

C. Ludwig
04-11-2005, 01:36 PM
S4 is Series 4 or 86-88. S5 is Series 5 or 89-92. The S4 has an aluminum upper neck that bolts to the pump body with a filler cap. The S5 has a plastic neck with no filler cap. I checked and do have extra S4 pump housings. Also have the front side gaskets. I have backside gaskets that I can send but will need a couple bucks for those because they would see use at some point. If that's what ya need drop me an email.

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

04-11-2005, 05:19 PM
Hi Chris, mine is the S4, and I ended up buying one for $40. I still need gaskets for the front and back. How much, and when can I get them? I plan on putting it together on Thursday, so I can keep my date at Road America on Saturday.

Steve
[email protected]
or cell 414-339-5084

C. Ludwig
04-11-2005, 07:49 PM
Might hit up the dealer then for just the gaskets. Mine usually gets stuff in two days when I need it or Mazdaspeed does next day and two day shipping.

Got your email. I'm in Southern Indiana. Not local to you. Sorry.

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

04-12-2005, 09:08 AM
Dealer did not have them, but I found them at Mazda Speed. I completed the worlds fastest registration, and I should be set. The pump housing and gaskets should be here on Thursday.

The sanctioning body I'm running in does not allow anti-freeze as a coolant. I'm thinking distilled water with watter wetter. Should I flush with anything before filling the system back up?

On cooling, does SCCA ITS regulations prevent opening up a slot in the hood to allow hot air to escape? IIDSYCYC?

Thanks

nimrod
05-05-2005, 01:02 AM
Newbie,
I usually flush with the tap, very thoroughly.

Chris,
I could use one of those S4 housings, I'll email you.