PDA

View Full Version : Suspension

Terry222TT
04-06-2005, 10:24 PM
Can anyone tell me what's the best or most popular Shock and Spring setup for an 87, Mazda, Rx-7, GXL preparing to run in ITS??

xr4racer
04-07-2005, 07:44 AM
The best could be any number of high dollar shocks/struts like Advanced Design from Ground Control. The most popular is probably Koni. I like and have been runnning (and they were cheap) KYB AGX which are the same as the old GAB.

Matt

Terry222TT
04-07-2005, 12:05 PM
Matt,

Thanks for the comeback. I tought you couldn't use adjustable shocks in ITS?

Terry

cbuzzetti
04-07-2005, 12:25 PM
Spring rates that I use are 7" 450 front 8" 340 rear.
KYB AGX shocks. Many new sets available on ebay.
Car seems to handle great and regulary visits the podium.
The front spring rates are near the limits of the shocks. Set those on 3 or 4. Rears are usually on 3-5 out of 8 settings. Testing will get you to the right setup.

Cbuzz

Scooter
04-07-2005, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Terry222TT:
I tought you couldn't use adjustable shocks in ITS?

Terry

Your shocks can have a maximum of 2 adjustments, and no remote resevoir.

I have street-style Konis now, but I will be getting the Advance Design shocks next.

Terry222TT
04-07-2005, 09:08 PM
Thanks all for your comments. What do you think of the complete coilover sets? I know Kyb, Silk Road and lot of others offer these. I am interested in your comments on these.
Thanks, Terry

Lynn77
04-09-2005, 10:53 PM
Matt, XR4RACER

I purchased a 87 RX7 with GAB shocks, but don't have any information about them. Can you offer me some help with these shocks or send me to a web site with some information about them.

Lynn

xr4racer
04-10-2005, 11:21 PM
What kind of info are you looking for? It was a contract deal with kyb and gab and the agreement ended for some reason (money) so KYB decided to sell them as AGX. I have the actual increase by % for each click, I will try to locate it. Just adust them for your particular track and car setup, is this an ITS car or street car?

Mike Guenther
04-11-2005, 11:09 AM
Lynn, like XR4Racer stated, the GAB shocks are history. I have the GAB SuperR adjustable shocks up front and one is ever so slightly bent so I've been looking for one. I have searched the web thoroughly and had some good info passed my way but nobody has any GAB left in stock that I could find. ISC Racing is replacing both of the fronts this week with the KYB AGX. Mike VanSteenburg said that they are the closest thing he could find to the GAB at a reasonable price.
Have fun and be safe.

xr4racer
04-11-2005, 06:42 PM
Let me put this another way. THEY ARE THE SAME THING. GAB contracted with KYB to make adjustable struts for them. They were not for the American market but people bought them after all of the markups from Japan. The agreement ended in a bad way and KYB figured they could sell adjustable shocks and struts since they designed them anyway and also because the contract was broken, hence the AGX which is much cheaper because a marketing company (GAB) is not ripping everyone off.

Terry222TT
04-11-2005, 10:32 PM
Any one racing ITS have any experience with Silk Road Coilovers?
Thanks, Terry

Lynn77
04-15-2005, 09:06 PM
XR4RACER
Thanks for the follow up about KYB & GAB.
Have you found the data regarding % inc for each click. I am new, so learning much of this by trial and error. Can you offer any help about how to set these shocks for a ITS car. Do you need more details about the car weight and spring weights.