PDA

View Full Version : Using stock gas tank

jeremy
04-13-2005, 02:14 PM
In building my 91 rx7 into an IT machine, I plan on keeping the stock tank. However during SoloII runs it would have cut out problems even at half a tank. I was curious as to what others running stock tanks were doing to combat the problem.

Chris Wire
04-13-2005, 05:23 PM
While I'm sure you will get arguements as to the legality of modifications to a stock tank, it would not be unheard of for someone to stuff the stock tank with fuel cell foam, or even insert one of the surge tanks that are available from Fuel Safe, ATL, etc.

In club racing you will find that the cornering is not as abrupt as Solo II, so fuel slosh may not be quite as big a problem.

One might even make the case that the fuel cell foam is a safety enhancement. (wink, wink)

Next time your at the track, see how many RX7s are running the fuel tank, compare that w/ your experiences in Solo, watch them run an hour between stops in an enduro, then draw your own conclusions.

------------------
Chris Wire
Team Wire Racing
ITS Mazda RX7 #35
[email protected]

bldn10
04-14-2005, 11:10 AM
I have to run a full tank to even think about making weight so no problem for me. But I have had fuel starvation on the occasions like test days when I let it run down. I would not worry about it until you see how you are weight-wise.

------------------
Bill Denton
87/89 ITS RX-7
02 Audi TT225QC
95 Tahoe
Memphis