PDA

View Full Version : Tranny stuck in gear!!!

bldn10
03-15-2005, 06:26 PM
I just installed a pro rebuilt tranny in my 2nd Gen. and the damn thing is stuck in gear. Anything I can do w/o taking it back out? It shifts OK except for 3rd, which I assume is the gear its stuck in. I tried to turn it on the starter but it screeched like hell whether I had the clutch in or out. I've now removed the starter. W/ the clutch in and stick in neutral, the engine turns when I turn the driveshaft but not the flywheel; w/ the clutch out the flywheel turns too. Should I just go ahead and start taking it out? Racing this weekend.

------------------
Bill Denton
87/89 ITS RX-7
02 Audi TT225QC
95 Tahoe
Memphis

ddewhurst
03-16-2005, 09:06 AM
Bill, what gear was the transmission IN & what gear were you shifting TO when the thing quit working ?

Is the shift lever stuck in a certain position ?

EDIT: Did this stuck transmission occure on the race track, in the garage with motor running or motor not running just shifting gears after transmission was installed ?

David

[This message has been edited by ddewhurst (edited March 16, 2005).]

bldn10
03-16-2005, 11:31 AM
"what gear was the transmission IN & what gear were you shifting TO when the thing quit working ?"

"I just installed a pro rebuilt tranny ...."

David, out of the box.

"Is the shift lever stuck in a certain position ?"

"It shifts OK except for 3rd... stick in neutral ...."

It shifts normally (engine not running) into neutral and all gears except 3rd.

I am in the process of unattaching and sliding back the extension housing in situ to see if the 3rd gear rod slid forward during shipping or install.

------------------
Bill Denton
87/89 ITS RX-7
02 Audi TT225QC
95 Tahoe
Memphis

C. Ludwig
03-16-2005, 11:35 AM
3rd and 4th use the same rod so the rod really can't be out of place or neither gear would work. The use the same hub also so the hub is atleast sliding forward to engage 4th. Maybe the 3rd gear synchro is hung up and blocking the dogs on the hub from engaging those on the gear? Only thing I can think of...

I'd call the builder and have a conversation.

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

ddewhurst
03-16-2005, 12:50 PM
Bill, I agree with Chris. Being the thing is a brand new build I would call the Pro builder before I took apart. Some of these Pro builders can get kind of tacky when their stuff is taken apart.

bldn10
03-16-2005, 05:53 PM
"I'd call the builder and have a conversation."

I did and he said send it back and he will check it out no charge. Of course that don't do crap for me this weekend.

I can't get the damn ext. housing to separate!!! All the bolts are out and I've beat on it w/ a hammer and pry bar at the joint and pulled on it but it won't budge. Any suggestions? Is there a trick to this?

------------------
Bill Denton
87/89 ITS RX-7
02 Audi TT225QC
95 Tahoe
Memphis

C. Ludwig
03-16-2005, 06:18 PM
The cup the shifter sits in needs to be removed from the turret before the tailhousing and turret can be removed. Remove the access panel on the side of the turret. Drive the roll pin out of the cup so it can slide of the rod.

Your problems are in the front half of the tranny. You'll need to remove the front cover and the snap ring to get it to slide off. There really isn't any reason to take the tailhousing off.

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

MaxEnergy
03-17-2005, 10:05 PM
When you drive the cup pin out make sure the tranny is in a gear that allows the pin to exit into the access hole or you will jam the pin against the far side and have no option but a very messy drilling effort.

------------------
Jamie Kekeisen
86 ITS RX-7 NER
92 325IS under construction

bldn10
03-22-2005, 03:38 PM
Chris, I'm not sure I understand your terminology re turret but I ended up taking the unit back out and then removing the tailpiece. The 3-4 rod was stuck and I gently pried it loose and the shaft would then turn. But as I worked the rods in and out just to learn how they worked, the 3-4 tended to hang up. I conferred w/ the builder and he said not to take a chance on it - send ot back. He thinks it's the detents that locate the rods in the right positions for the gears. Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

------------------
Bill Denton
87/89 ITS RX-7
02 Audi TT225QC
95 Tahoe
Memphis

C. Ludwig
03-22-2005, 04:15 PM
The turret is the housing the shifter sits in. At least that's my terminology. http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

Send me an email off the board if ya don't mind. I'm just transmission curious.

[email protected]

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

ddewhurst
03-23-2005, 10:21 AM
Bill, I am also very curious what the builder says was the issue after he takes the transmission apart. I had a very similar deal happen to me last year while shifting from third to fourth. After I very cafefully took the trans apart I found that the shift lever had moved out of the third/fourth slide rod yoke & was in the fifth/reverse slide rod yoke. STUCK TIGHT. Taking apart further showed that the fifth/reverse slide gear which the reverse has no synro was jamed to the reverse gear. This shift occured at approx 8,000 rpm's. in the middle of a 180* turn.

Duh, driver error http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/frown.gif
David