PDA

View Full Version : 86 rx7

java
02-09-2005, 04:15 AM
I've come accross a pretty good deal on a 86 rx7 and wanted some advice from the knowledgeable folks. I was really in the market for a 240sx to run ITA but ran accross this.

This would put me in ITS (wanted to start slower but...).

It's a automatic, any knowledge out there on the difficulites on swaping out to manual. What are good sources for parts to do the swap?

Chris Taylor
02-09-2005, 02:22 PM
If you're going to strip the car down fairly extensively, it won't be too much of a problem.

If you're just doing the required things to make it race ready, it may seem like a pain. The most difficult thing will be putting the manual pedal cluster in.

seckerich
02-09-2005, 03:39 PM
I would start with a 5 speed car as the mounts for the transmission are different and you will have to cut the required piece from a donor car. Look for a 86 Sport as the lightest starter car with roll up windows and possibly the aluminum hood. It is also non sunroof which saves some weight. Don't throw good money at a bad shell just because you have it, they are to cheap for that.
Steve Eckerich
ITS Speedsource RX7

C. Ludwig
02-09-2005, 06:27 PM
What he said. After doing a proper 5-speed swap in an auto car for a customer a few weeks ago I won't do it again. There are easier ways to do the swap but none are very strong IMO or would they be IT legal. These cars are everywhere. It's not hard to find a decent 5-speed starter if you try.

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

java
02-09-2005, 06:55 PM
That sums it up.

Thank you all

seckerich
02-09-2005, 09:44 PM
Where are you located? I might have a shell you can use.

java
02-09-2005, 11:01 PM
I might have an 88 5 speed lined up. I'll update ya'll tomorrow.

I'm in Dalton, GA.

Kevin

java
02-10-2005, 11:39 PM
Here she is, 88 5-speed.

http://webpages.charter.net/kevin.barnes/images/88rx7/rx7-1.jpg

Kevin

[This message has been edited by java (edited February 10, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by java (edited February 10, 2005).]

seckerich
02-11-2005, 12:09 AM
Car looks sound and straight. Now throw the 4 lug suspension away and convert to 5 lug or you will get killed on brakes. I am in NC and have spare tubs around if you need parts.
Steve Eckerich
ITS Speedsource RX7

java
02-11-2005, 04:46 AM
Steve,

Many thanks for the info and offer.

I bought the car Wednesday and am picking it up Sunday - ebay. It has a Mazda rebuilt and replaced engine with 600 miles on it. Owner didn't know what model year engine Mazda put in it, maybe I'll get lucky. For 1K I figure I couldn't loose.

I'll have to come to NC, buy ya a beer and pick your brain sometime. Thanks again for the help.

Kevin

java
02-11-2005, 04:50 AM
oh, 5 lug suspension, suggestions on where and kind to get please.

bldn10
02-11-2005, 01:08 PM
Kevin, Kevin, I wish you had asked about that car before you bought it. It's not a fatal mistake but, looking at the recent sales on ebay, there were some better cars for less money. What makes a good future race car is not the same as a good street car. Now you need to find a 5-lug parts car; you should not have to pay more than $500 or so. Personally, I'd sell the one you just bought and buy an 89-91 5-lug car. One sold on ebay the other day north of you in Tenn. for $580.

------------------
Bill Denton
87/89 ITS RX-7
02 Audi TT225QC
95 Tahoe
Memphis

Mike Guenther
02-11-2005, 02:49 PM
I have an '88, runs OK, manual trans., 5-lug chassis, ugly paint but no body damage, that I'll sell for $600. Pick it up in Lakeland Fl. I drove it home over a year ago and it has been sitting on my driveway since. I last started it up around Thanksgiving but when I tried to start it up a couple of weeks ago the battery died before it cranked up. It should run though. First $600 takes it.

java
02-11-2005, 04:37 PM
bah...

That's okay, I can trick it out a little and give it to the wife for her SOLO car if I decide not to race this one. It's a clean, straight car, I'll still think I got a pretty good deal on it with the new motor.

Mike, My wife's been trying to get me to take her to Florida for some R&R. I'll contact you if we head that way in the next month.

Steve, do any of your tubs have 5 lugs under them?

Kevin

[This message has been edited by java (edited February 11, 2005).]

seckerich
02-11-2005, 11:07 PM
All my spares have the 5 lug you need. Contact me off list and I will let you have what you need cheap.
Steve
"" [email protected]""

it7rx739
02-17-2005, 11:58 PM
Kevin,

I have got some 2nd Gen parts available and a 5-lug sus. also. I am in Canton just 30min south of you. Give me a call and let me know what you need. I can also get you other parts if i don't have them at my shop. Let me know.

Attila

770-720-2039

RoadRunner Racing

java
02-22-2005, 11:39 AM
Hey guys, thanks for everyone input and offers. I'm going to trick the 88 4 lug out and give it to the wife so I'm now looking again for a race car to build. Can you all give some feed back on this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6327&item=4529523 038&rd=1://http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...529523 038&rd=1 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6327&item=4529523038&rd=1)

I'm not sure if the 2+2 if legal for ITS but I can swap them. put the 13b out of the 4 lug into the 5.

Thanks again
Kevin

[This message has been edited by java (edited February 22, 2005).]

bldn10
02-22-2005, 12:09 PM
Smart decision, Kevin. But you still have too much street car mindset. I promise you, if you ever want to run up front (well, in the S.E. I mean w/ the other front-running RX-7s) you will end up w/ an '89 engine and other components that will be a PITA to retrofit into that '87. Therefore, IMO the red '89 on ebay in Columbus is a better race car in the long run.

------------------
Bill Denton
87/89 ITS RX-7
02 Audi TT225QC
95 Tahoe
Memphis

C. Ludwig
02-22-2005, 01:57 PM
IMO the S4 is an OK starter. But like has just been said you WILL end up with the S5 engine and electronics if you want to be competitive. To do a complete conversion you'll need both wire harnesses leading from the ECU out the passenger and driver sides of the fire wall to the engine bay. The ECU, airflow meter, and intake. If you want to build your own motor you'll want the S5 rotors, flywheel, and counter weight. If you're buying a motor built then the engine in the shell doesn't really matter.

The conversion isn't tough as you should be planning on stripping the car to the bare tub for construction anyway. The S4 has one big plus and that's the bolt-in ball joints on the front a-arms. Just try to weigh the price difference. Good S4s can certainly be had for less than a good S5. But is the savings worth what you'll have to spend on parts to do the conversion? When looking for the parts join up on all the RX-7 bulletin boards and watch for guys doing turbo and V8 swaps. They'll have about everything need. And IMO throw down the money for new wire harnesses if you're making the conversion. The underhood temps of the rotary absolutely kills every piece of plastic that's exposed to it. Wire insulation becomes brittle and cracks or small gauge wires simply break in two. I've had countless electical gremlins I've had to sort through with used harnesses.

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

Eagle7
02-22-2005, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by C. Ludwig:
To do a complete conversion you'll need both wire harnesses leading from the ECU out the passenger and driver sides of the fire wall to the engine bay. The ECU, airflow meter, and intake.
Don't forget the OMP. I don't have the issue, but from what you've said in the past, an S5 ECU requires an S5 OMP.

------------------
Marty Doane
ITS RX-7 #13
CenDiv WMR

java
03-01-2005, 03:55 AM
Alright guys, hopefully I got it right this time. 1989 RX7 GTU. This is the car Bill mentioned on ebay. Got it for the bargan price of $860, picking it up Saturday.

http://webpages.charter.net/kevin.barnes/images/89rx7/3c_1_b.JPG

Many thanks Bill, Chris, Marty, Steve for all your input and advise. Now can ya'll come help me build the damn thing :-)

Thanks again,
Kevin

seckerich
03-02-2005, 01:06 AM
Good choice Kevin. Come to VIR in March and look at some cars to see where to start on cage design.
Steve Eckerich
ITS Speedsource RX7

SPiN Racing
03-21-2005, 05:49 AM
Mike G... Do you still have that 2nd Gen?

Shoot me a e-mail if you still do....and are interested in departing with it still...
[email protected]

------------------
Scott Neville
SPiN Racing
84 RX-7 ITA
86 RX-7 EP
88 RX-7 20B SP