PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure valve

Scooter
03-08-2005, 08:13 PM
Can I swap to the high-pressure oil pressure valve without changing my oil pump?

Please? Cuz that would be nice.

'89 ITS Rx-7

C. Ludwig
03-09-2005, 12:37 AM
Yes. Changing the rear regulator is a commom upgrade. There is stock which is around 70psi. The 3rd gen regulator is an inexpensive upgrade and is set at around 100psi. The comp regulator is set for 115-120psi. The front regulator needs to be shimmed when changing the rear regulator. Install a stack of washer that total 1/8" under the spring to increase it's pressure. While you're at it replace the front spring. They're cheap and have failed on occasion.

The TII oil pump will bolt to an NA motor with no modification. It's a higher volume unit. Another easy mod.

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

[This message has been edited by C. Ludwig (edited March 08, 2005).]

Scooter
03-09-2005, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by C. Ludwig:
The front regulator needs to be shimmed when changing the rear regulator. Install a stack of washer that total 1/8" under the spring to increase it's pressure. While you're at it replace the front spring. They're cheap and have failed on occasion.

Sorry to be a dork, but where is the front regulator? In the pan also?

C. Ludwig
03-09-2005, 07:00 AM
It is in the bottom of the front cover. There is a bolt head, believe it's 19mm, on the bottom of the front cover. Remove that and the spring and piston will come out. Make sure the piston and bore are not scored. Re-install the piston and new spring with the washers for shims. Go to your local hardware store and buy some washers that are just small enough in diameter to fit in the cap. The stack height of the washers should be about 1/8". Two usually do the trick.

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

Scooter
03-09-2005, 06:21 PM
Ok, I got the pan off last night and changed the spring, but the oil pressure valve is right up against the block in there and I couldn't get it off.

I think a 26mm thin socket would do it, but I can't tell for sure. Any amazing insights before I run out and buy an expensive socket I'll only use (or hopefully use) once?

C. Ludwig
03-09-2005, 08:23 PM
Buy an inexpensive adjustable wrench and work it over with a bench grinder.

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv