PDA

View Full Version : Right front Wheel problem

reisertracing
02-21-2005, 11:01 PM
I have a 1985 Mazda RX-7 IT-7 car and in prepping it for St Louis in March I was trying to grease the front wheel bearing on the right and discovered I couldn't remove the wheel from the bolts on the wheel. The left came off easily.
Are the bolts bent(don't look bent) or did the wheel gall to the brakes/hat?
Any ideas on how to get it off without messing things up.
Any suggestions appreciated. Johhny

------------------
Johhny R.

miketrier
02-21-2005, 11:59 PM
I don't understand. Do you mean that you can't get the lugs nuts off or that when the lug nuts are off, the wheel won't pull off the hub or is it something else?

reisertracing
02-22-2005, 12:21 AM
The wheel won't pull off the hub, the lug nuts come off. It is actually on the left side front tire.
No problem with the right side, easy, the left wheel won't budge with all lug nuts off.
Thanks

------------------
Johhny R.

joeg
02-22-2005, 09:06 AM
Could be rust or something bent.

Gently tap around the inside perimeter of the affected rim.

dickita15
02-22-2005, 09:49 AM
I have had it happen alot on junkers i have been stripping. corrosion between the wheel and the hub. solution is 4 pound hammer with a block of wood to protect the rim. hit and spin, hit and spin.
dick

mustanghammer
02-22-2005, 11:41 AM
After you beat the wheel off - it will come off. Make sure the whee is straight and then clean off the hub mating surface on the wheel. I would clean up the rotor hub face too. A 4" angle grinder and a wire wheel is all that is needed. If you are putting new tires on these wheels then make sure the bead area on the wheels is clean too. Old stock wheels seem to corrode pretty badly.

Coat the hub face with anti-seize where the back of wheel and the hub face mate when you reassemble the car. This a good idea on street cars that have either alloy or steel wheels as well. Makes 6 month tire rotations easier.

Are you coming to Heartland Park on Apr 2,3 to put more time on your novice permit?

------------------
Scott Peterson
KC Region
IT7 #17

reisertracing
02-22-2005, 06:16 PM
Hey Scott,
I might be there. I have been an open wheel racer for several(25 years) and bought this RX-7 from a guy that just died. He had the car built by Charlie Clark, but it hasn't been run in 2 years.
I am looking forward to driving it and it is in my garage. I have had it at Putnam Park for several test days. I need to get it checked out and running better.John

------------------
Johhny R.

John Herman
02-22-2005, 06:25 PM
The other thing to try is to loosen the lug nuts up so there a a little gap between the nuts and wheel, then drive the car around a little(e.g. driveway, apartment complex), doing tight turnes, wiggle back and forth hard stabs of the brakes and it may pop loose without the hassle or risk of beating on the wheel.

mustanghammer
02-23-2005, 01:33 PM
I might be there. I have been an open wheel racer for several(25 years) and bought this RX-7 from a guy that just died. He had the car built by Charlie Clark, but it hasn't been run in 2 years.

I think I know this car! It may be the first race car that Charlie ever let me work on! I was one of his garage rats at one time and I installed the original spherical suspension on the first IT RX7 that he built and later sold. I got attached to that car and hated to see it go.

Look forward to meeting you this year and seeing your car.

------------------
Scott Peterson
KC Region
IT7 #17

mustanghammer
02-23-2005, 01:39 PM
I think I know this car! It may be the first race car that Charlie ever let me work on! I was one of his garage rats at one time and I installed the original spherical suspension on the first IT RX7 that he built and later sold. I got attached to that car and hated to see it go.

Oops, my bad. Not the same car. The car I worked on was a 79-80 model.

I do know this car, however. The owner that passed away was a nice guy and a real good shoe. He is missed.

Well, still looking forward to meeting you and seeing Jay's old car.