PDA

View Full Version : Tow hooks

MaxEnergy
02-15-2005, 08:29 PM
It was mentioned in another post about the mandated tow hooks. Just curious what folks were using on the 2nd gen rx7. I like straps as they seem a lot safer than having a fixed bayonet ripping up bumper covers. Semi recessed is an option but where to mount? Any creative approaches out there?

------------------
Jamie Kekeisen
86 ITS RX-7 NER
92 325IS under construction

Mike Spencer
02-15-2005, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by MaxEnergy:
...Any creative approaches out there?

I haven't actually done it yet, but I am considering using an "unfixed bayonet". I have seen hinged tow hooks on other cars in the past, and I like the concept. It's going to be up to my fabricator to see if it's workable.

Whatever I do, it's going to be soon. I was told by the Chief Scrutineer that this requirement WILL be enforced at the March race at VIR.

(EDIT: Spelling)

------------------
Mike Spencer
NC Region
ITA/7 RX-7 #60
1990 RX-7 Convertible (street car)

[This message has been edited by Mike Spencer (edited February 15, 2005).]

Marcus Miller
02-15-2005, 11:47 PM
Turner motorsports sells a strap:
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detai...?PRODUCT_ID=TOW (http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=TOW)

(little pricey!)

The alternative, if the 2nd gen cars have tow hooks, is a quality rockclimbing carabiner (SP?) and climbing runner (both avaialble at REI for less than $20)
Some people scoff at that solution, but it has passed tech in Socal, Texas and Norcal on Spec Miata's and Pro7's.
The climbing runner I have on the rear (Turner strap up front) is rated @ 6700 lbs, or 2.5 times the car weight. The carabiner is over 9800 lbs.

Marcus

bldn10
02-16-2005, 12:17 PM
I'm not convinced that the stock hooks are not compliant.

------------------
Bill Denton
87/89 ITS RX-7
02 Audi TT225QC
95 Tahoe
Memphis

MaxEnergy
02-16-2005, 12:48 PM
I never even thought of that! How does one get an official read on that prior to showing up for annual tech? Mine still has its stock tow loops as well.

------------------
Jamie Kekeisen
86 ITS RX-7 NER

Andy Bettencourt
02-16-2005, 04:00 PM
If the stock tow hooks have an ID of 2" or more SOMEWHERE in that inner circumfrance, I would say you are legal. Otherwise, you may want to go another route.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
New England Region, R188967
www.flatout-motorsports.com (http://www.flatout-motorsports.com)

its66
02-16-2005, 04:11 PM
Andy and all,
While your reasoning is remarkable similar to mine on these tow hooks, apparently the CFR tech folks feel differently. At the January Sebring event, the top IT finishers were impounded and had tow hook checked. Many competitors had the "threaded link" of approximately 1 x 2 inch opening. These were determined by tech folks to be unacceptable. They also didn't like the 2 inch axle straps with a triangular metal ring at either end. Apparently, their interpretation is that diameter means, or at least implies a circle. The were looking for 2 inch opening in EVERY direction. I have since been told that the axle strap scenario is acceptable within the region now. I guess I will find out in two weeks.

Jim

bldn10
02-16-2005, 05:50 PM
Jim, I've heard that too, but it don't say it. If the intent was a round eye, commonly called a ring, one would think it would not take a rocket scientist to draft a rule saying that. As a matter if fact, I suspect most average 6th graders could do it. The quality of rules draftsmanship in the SCCA is pretty lousy IMHO. And, for a club full of lawyers like myself absolutely willing to provide pro bono assistance, unnecessary and unacceptable. And that's what I think about that.

------------------
Bill Denton
87/89 ITS RX-7
02 Audi TT225QC
95 Tahoe
Memphis

ITS51RX7
02-16-2005, 08:46 PM
The rule states the hole to be used for towing will have a 2 inch diameter.

WEBSTER'S dictionary,
diameter = straight line through the center of a circle.

------------------
Michael Flock
Cen-Dev
1988 RX-7 ITS

Eagle7
02-16-2005, 11:55 PM
It has to be a circle?

------------------
Marty Doane
ITS RX-7 #13
CenDiv WMR

MaxEnergy
02-17-2005, 08:14 AM
I agree with Andy, it must have an opening that is at least 2" minimum, there's no reason it can't be oval if the "short diameter" is 2".

------------------
Jamie Kekeisen
86 ITS RX-7 NER

ddewhurst
02-17-2005, 10:29 AM
I couldn't resist.

2005 GCR Rule 17.31. Towing Eyes (presume the Fastrack words are similar)

"shall have a towing eye or strap, front & rear"

"Towing eye minimum ID (inside diameter) two (2) inches"

If a person buys a piece of steel that measures 2 inches at each point 360 degrees around the inside of that piece of steel (a round chain link, not oval, not square) the person will have a 2 inch inside diameter towing eye. Buy a strap & shape the strap in a circle where each point 360 degrees around the inside of the strap measures 2 inches & you will have a towing strap.

Have Fun http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif
David

ps: If you follow the above & your towing eye is not legal, bring the towing eye to the Runoffs & I'll buy the beer. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

bldn10
02-17-2005, 03:36 PM
David and Michael, I always thought ID meant inside dimension but I looked it up and you are right. That certainly does imply a round eye but I'm not so sure the CRB meant it so literally. I can think of no reason why they would mandate a round eye as opposed to any other shape as long as the minimum inside dimension (I'll use that term now!) is 2". My opinion of draftsmanship remains because they should not assume race car drivers are plumbers too.

------------------
Bill Denton
87/89 ITS RX-7
02 Audi TT225QC
95 Tahoe
Memphis

C. Ludwig
02-17-2005, 06:46 PM
Drove down to the local hardware store today and purchased two clevis hooks. One goes through the rear factory tie down without effort. I'll have to hack a bit out of the front bumper to stick the other one through the front, factory hoop. Simple and effective.

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

apr67
02-17-2005, 09:55 PM
I would love to belive it only has to meet the 2" rule in one dimension.

But thats unrealistc. Some rules bozo will make a tow hook that is 2" by 1/99th and say it meets the rules.

I'm going the 2" clevis rout, and then when they stop looking, I go back to my standard 1.5 inch celivs.

ITS51RX7
02-18-2005, 03:12 PM
Bill,
I finished my tow hooks last week , I made them out of axle straps. I bolted both of the d-ring side's of the axle strap back to the original factory tow hook area in the rear with enough material hanging past the rear of the car to create a 2" hole. Same for the front except I had to make a braket to extend the factory tow hook mount to bolt the axle strap to it.

If you want a picture of the strap's e-mail me at

mflock at ccrtc dot com

PS. How about making the trip up north and coming to I.R.P. this spring ???

------------------
Michael Flock
Cen-Dev
1988 RX-7 ITS

[This message has been edited by ITS51RX7 (edited February 18, 2005).]

bldn10
02-18-2005, 06:41 PM
Chris, I'm not exactly following you because the stock hoop is about 18" back from the leading edge of the bumper cover.

Michael, I will e-mail you for a photo but there is a general problem w/ a strap that sticks through a hole in the bumper: if you attach it too far behind the bumper, and the car has to be pulled at an angle, the strap will likely rip the bumper cover as it wants to straighten out.

------------------
Bill Denton
87/89 ITS RX-7
02 Audi TT225QC
95 Tahoe
Memphis

C. Ludwig
02-19-2005, 12:16 AM
Not the one I'm talking about. Now that you mention it I'm not sure I've seen this hook on all RX-7s but it is factory. It is attached to the driver's side frame rail and extends straight out through one of the opening in the bumper cover. The opening is about the same size and the rear hooks. Roughly 2" x 1.25".

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv