PDA

View Full Version : buying prebuilt ITS rx7

rsx858
02-07-2005, 02:35 PM
hi im new to the forum but have been reading it for a while now. Im in the market for an ITS Rx7 but am not very familiar with the car. -just in general what are the key things i should check for when buying a prebuilt car of this sort? and what should i expect in the $6000 - $8000 range? thanks a lot for your help

JeffYoung
02-07-2005, 03:31 PM
A good choice, probably the best for getting into ITS. You should get a decent to good car for $8000 -- plenty for a novice driver.

The 2nd Gen RX7 is a great ITS choice. Lots of knowledge and parts out there. You can go as wild as you want, once you learn the car.

Check:

a. Make SURE the cage complies with the GCR. Expensive fix if not.

b. Check the age on the belts.

c. Age of motor and transmission.

d. Spare wheels package. You will want, ideally, 4 "race" rims and tires, 4 "practice" rims and tires and 4 rain rims and tires.

e. Minor compliance items. Fire bottle (can be $$$ though). Tow hooks. Kill switch. Etc.

Big things are cage, motor & tranny and what wheels and tires you get. Check the log book for accident damage. Not a killer, but if the car has been rolled and rebuilt..it can be hard to align...lol...sometimes.

Andy Bettencourt
02-07-2005, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by rsx858:
hi im new to the forum but have been reading it for a while now. Im in the market for an ITS Rx7 but am not very familiar with the car. -just in general what are the key things i should check for when buying a prebuilt car of this sort? and what should i expect in the $6000 - $8000 range? thanks a lot for your help

Some things that would seperate a good buy from a buy you will have to spend money on:

Speedsource/ISC/other reputable rotary builder engine
4.88 or 5.12 Torsen
GTUs tranny
BIG oil cooler
BIG radiator....

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
New England Region, R188967

www.flatout-motorsports.com (http://www.flatout-motorsports.com)

benspeed
02-08-2005, 11:48 AM
Also, make sure that the car has not been overheated - you might have a short lived motor. The tranny is the weakest part of the car - I blow one every year so I keep a new spare in the trailer.

Hands down its the best car to start with in ITS. Heat is also the biggest enemy of the car - like Anyd said, big oil cooler and radiators.

Good luck and hope to race ya!

------------------
BenSpeed
#33 ITS RX7
BigSpeed Racing
NNJR BoD - Treasurer
[email protected]
NNJR

rsx858
02-08-2005, 02:27 PM
thanks a lot for the help guys. see you on the track

Wreckerboy
02-08-2005, 02:52 PM
Something additional to consider is if the car has a log book, be certain to review it. Is it current? If any discrepancies or issues are noted, have they been fixed and approved by the scruitineers?

JeffYoung's astute observation on the legality of the cage *might* be covered with a valid log book.

bldn10
02-08-2005, 05:21 PM
I can't tell if you are asking about a particular car or just generally, but, if you are not familiar w/ the 2nd Gen. RX-7. you need to know that there are differences between the early '86 -'88 cars and the late '89-'91 cars. The engine, ECU, air flow meter, etc, from the later cars are preferable, but you can often find early cars w/ late engines, etc. Where are you located?

------------------
Bill Denton
87/89 ITS RX-7
02 Audi TT225QC
95 Tahoe
Memphis

rsx858
02-08-2005, 06:11 PM
north New Jersey

bldn10
02-10-2005, 12:25 PM
There's one for sale in SportsCar for $6500 in your area.

------------------
Bill Denton
87/89 ITS RX-7
02 Audi TT225QC
95 Tahoe
Memphis

rsx858
02-10-2005, 08:29 PM
Thanks, im aready in contact with the seller... going to check it out this weekend