PDA

View Full Version : 1st gen rx7 frame damage - repairable?

sevenracer
12-30-2004, 03:03 PM
I am starting a build up of a 1st gen for IT7. I thought the shell had a light hit that had just moved the front bumper over a couple of inches. Now that I've got it disassembled, I can see that both of the frame horns are pushed over, the driver's side is pretty twisted. There is a slight bend in the tubular crossmember, and there is a slight crease in the frame just before the front crossmember.

I guess my question is should I even bother trying to get it straightened? I like this shell because it's a non sunroof car and the rest of it is very clean, particularly underneath where most cars I've seen are mangled from being jacked improperly.

I don't know much about unibody repair, so any comments or experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Neil

crushed
12-30-2004, 04:05 PM
my car hit the wall before i bought it and had similar damage. the front end is still a little tweaked but it goes around the track just fine.

that said if i was building a car from scratch I would find one with no frame damage, it shouldn't be that hard to find one in decent shape...

------------------
Russ Marshall
#31 IT-7

Hotshoe
12-30-2004, 04:44 PM
Neil,

...I would get it fixed. A good AutoBody shop should have a frame machine with a 3d measuring system.

...I have damaged mine a few times and repaired it myself on my Chief frame machine.

...If the shop you go to does have a Chief with the measuring system and does not have the measurements (due to the age of the car) let me know and I can send you a complete set of upper and lower body dimension.

...Just because it is damaged doesn't mean you can't fix it. Every time I fix my car or one of my friends cars they always drive better.

...Rick Thompson

Speed Raycer
12-30-2004, 04:45 PM
I would double check the straightness from the crossmember back. If that was ok, the only other issue would be the forward mounting points for the strut rods.

Rustfree tubs are hard to come by in the midwest, but if they're plentiful around you, look for another tub.

steve s
12-30-2004, 10:06 PM
i agree with rick on this one any decent bodyshop can fix that frame rail.
when i'm building a new car i always put it on the frame machine to check for straightness.looking good to the untrained eye is always a bad thing .my philosophy is always eliminate problem and guessing.
fix it.

------------------
steve saney
it-7 /it-a #34

sevenracer
01-03-2005, 01:09 PM
Happy New Year and thanks for the feedback.

I guess I'll talk to a couple of body shops about pulling it straight. Hopefully the cost will be reasonable if they don't have to disassemble or reassemble anything.