PDA

View Full Version : IT7 Class History

gran racing
12-31-2004, 05:09 PM
...You have no idea why we started IT7. I've tried to explain, but. Maybe one day you will talk to one of the three guys that worked so hard to make it possible. We have our reasons. So how about stopping with the "cannot compete in ITA" BS. Every time you get a chance to jump on that bandwagon you do. Give us a break!
...We do not have any trouble running with ITA cars. Most of the time the top two or three in IT7 are in front of the ITA cars at the finish. So just because it is a problem in other regions doesn't mean it is in ours.

Well, you've got me curious about the history of IT7. When was it first formed? What was the reasoning / motivation for it to be formed?

(I did a search and was not able to find a history of IT7)

------------------
Dave Gran
NER ITB #13
'87 Honda Prelude si

Diane
12-31-2004, 06:22 PM
From http://www.sedivracing.org/clrules.html

July 1998 this class was initiated for MAZDA R X 7s, model year 1979 through 1985 with the 12 A motor. This class must comply with and be prepared to the IT"A" rules as published by SCCA — GCR and Category Specifications.

Not sure how accurate that is....

Diane

Hotshoe
01-01-2005, 02:10 AM
Dave,

...I can try to give you most of what I know and then maybe some of the others that were more involved can chime in.

...It all started with an RX3 driver that sold his car and tried a second gen RX7.
His name is Stan Hinds. He did not like the 2nd gen so he sold it. But he likes the rotary powered cars so much that he wanted to do something to preserve and better what we all had in ITA.

...So with the help of his brother Todd and friend Lee Graser, they started the RX7 Challenge. Now that is what I call devotion. They were not even racing in the class that they were working so hard to establish.

...The amount of effort they put into the series is to be commended. They went to every race at their expense, set up a tent with a banner to support the series. Took lap times, posted results and awarded trophies. During all of this they encouraged 1st gen RX7 drivers to participate in the RX7 Challenge at a cost of only $10.00 per event. I know that didn't even come close to covering the cost they had to pay for the first class job they were doing.

...The very reason the three of them had for starting the series was to encourage new drivers to race RX7s and give those of us that have them a chance to police ourselves more closely. This extra scrutiny gave the class more credibility. That also encouraged drivers to stay because they knew the effort was being put forth to make the cars IT compliant. We had some issues that being a spec class helped us remedy.

...They supported the RX7 Challenge for a season and a half until they lobbied with the officials in the SEDiv and got them to recognize and adapt IT7 as a Regional class.

...Considering how many cars and drivers we have in the SEDiv (over 70), it is a lot of fun to compete in the class. I know of three new people that have joined the class in the past ten months.

...I personally want to thank Stan Hinds, Todd Hinds, and Lee Graser for all that they have done. I hope they are pleased with the outcome.

....Thanks Guys....
...Happy New Year...