PDA

View Full Version : ITS Build - What to include?

wrankin
12-28-2004, 10:26 PM
Well, I've started down that slippery slope.

I'm in the early stages of rebuilding what will eventually become an ITS RX-7. The car is a 90 TII chassis but with a complete drivetrain and suspension from a 91 GXL. I currently have a rolling shell without engine or tranny installed. The original 91 engine blew a coolant seal and I am beginning the rebuild process.

With that in mind, I had a couple questions about what the rest of the ITS crowd is running in terms of engine modifications:

1) The OMP - keep it or toss it entirely and rely on pre-mix? If so, how do you keep the S5 ECU from whining and going into limp mode?

2) 5th/6th Ports Actuators - is the general concensus to remove these and just suffer the low-end power loss? If you keep them, how do you provide the air to actuate them?

Any other bits of wisdom you can toss my way would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-bill

its66
12-29-2004, 09:22 AM
Bill,
Welcome to the madness. The rules don't allow you to change a TII car into a N/A car. While most people wouldn't say anything, or care, I think i would try to trade the TII shell for a N/A shell to avoid possible headaches down the road.

OMP... Leave it. You will learn many new anacronyms on IT.COM. The most famouos is IIDSYCYC. (if it doesn't say you can, you can't) Rules don't specifically say you can remove or disable the metering pump. Most people I know premix also.

5th and 6th...you won't be below about 5800-6000 when on the track.

Jim

wrankin
12-29-2004, 11:37 PM
Thanks, Jim. I'll go have a look at some of the other shells that may be available. I appreciate the info (I went back and read the GCR a little closer this evening <:-).

-bill