PDA

View Full Version : New to 2nd Gen RX-7's

jjacocks
12-18-2004, 10:45 PM
I just acquired a partially-completed 1988 RX-7, that I plan to complete for ITS.

I'm looking for any general suggestions, common mistakes, etc. that are appropriate.

I'm especially interested in any ideas about suspension setup and components. I'm looking at Ground Control's setup with camber plates.

Thanks for any and all help.

xr4racer
12-20-2004, 12:29 AM
The most important thing to worry about is COOLING. Get a very good radiator and oil cooler or you will be cooking engines. As for the suspension, my setup with KYB AGXs and Ground Control camber plates has worked very well. Although the KYBs are cheap they have held up for 4 years. Do not worry about getting all of the most expensive suspension bits on the car just get it on the track and get seat time. Is this the car form the MD area?

MaxEnergy
12-20-2004, 09:05 AM
Turbo charge it -- just kidding. Regarding the Ground controls, with the 05 rule change allowing regular coilovers I would look around for an alternative or maybe GC has a redesigned version. Previous the perch or the sleeve couldn't be permanently attached which allowed for a lot of movement making it difficult to accurately adjust corner weights consistently. I'm looking for something different myself.

benspeed
12-20-2004, 01:25 PM
My best suggestion is to call Mike VanSteenberg at ISC Racing. (863) 324-4539

These guys are excellent to deal with and have all the best go fast goodies. I run a 2nd gen and never had any cooling problems using their oil/water heat exchanger. You can also get other great packages from them for good pricing.

C. Ludwig
12-20-2004, 02:04 PM
Like the other guys have said cooling is all important. I spent the whole first year exercising that demon. Ended up with two stock oil cooler plumbed in parallel and a custom two-core, double pass rad. The rad was purchased here http://www.alumrad.com/ . The price was cheaper than about anything else I could find and the quality was outstanding. I would seriously recommend against the Fluidyne and Koyo direct replacements that seem to be popular with the import crowd. I had a 10AE turbo pass through my hands this summer with a Fluidyne. Despite the big name I was very underwelmed with the product. It was two-core but only single pass. The core surface area was smaller than my custom and the cores were thinner. And it's almost $200 more than what I paid for mine. Ducting the air across the coolers is all important. Get everything sealed up so air does not spill past the coolers instead of going through them.

For shocks I throw out another recommendation for ISC and their Bilstein package. It's fairly inexpensive and they're very good shocks. There are more expensive options but IMO a novice driver probably won't be able to use any advantage they might bring to the table. Start off with something good but not ultimately high dollar and use the money you save for track time and tires.

I have the GC camber plates on my car and wish I would of went with a top mount setup. The plates are very high quality and I'm happy with them in that regard. But after getting the car down to a good ride height I've seen that the extra travel in the front suspension that a top mount plate would offer might come in handy. I haven't bottomed the car yet but it's within a 1/2". Problem is I can't think of who sells them off the top of my head. They are out there though.

Go through the brakes and make sure everything is right. RX-7s are notorious for poor pedal feel anyway.

Get a decent old stock motor and run it to start. You'll hear from a few guys that say their stockers dyno very close to pro-built motors. Again, save the money for tires and track time. If you get a decent, well sealed motor that hasn't been overheated you'll get good life out of it too. The exhaust system is all important and this is one area where you can do it right the first time. IMO a 5.12 gear and rebuilt stock LSD or Torsen should be on the top of the wish list too.

The above is just all my opinion so take it as you may. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

Andy Bettencourt
12-20-2004, 02:30 PM
Chris,

Speedsource sells the top mounted Camber Plates. We run both those and the GC stuff on our cars.

We love the ISC exhausts although Speedsource may have developed something over the past 12 months I don't know about. Their ITS 'stuff' isn't prominantly displayed on their website.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
New England Region, R188967
ITA project SM
www.flatout-motorsports.com

ddewhurst
12-20-2004, 09:26 PM
Chris, ISC racing camber plates look like top mount also. They include the strut mount point. Steel rather than alum. If there were overhead room why couldn't a guy space the plate taller if everything else would allow ? http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif May not be room above. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/frown.gif

Saw your car at Gateway but never had time to talk to your pal. Ya get around that place in a HURRRRRRRY. My first time on THE HIGH bank. If ya been there have ya ever had some serious oversteer on the banks or comming off the banks ?

Have Fun http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif
David

jjacocks
12-21-2004, 12:01 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will definitely concentrate on the cooling aspect, which I would have not known about if you all hadn't mentioned it. Works out well, as my car doesn't presently have a radiator, at all.

My next project is re-assembly of the car, from all the pieces that the previous owner took it to. Should be lots of fun, given my complete lack of RX-7 knowledge. Thank god for the excellent shop manual.

Anyone have a suggestion for a good fuel cell and placement for these cars? My car also came without a gas tank, and I might as well take the opportunity.

Also, as previously asked, I'm a DC Region member, and live in Berryville, Virginia.

Thanks, again!
J. Alexander Jacocks

[This message has been edited by jjacocks (edited December 20, 2004).]

C. Ludwig
12-21-2004, 06:59 AM
I have a 22 gallon ATL in mine. If I had to do it again I'd stick with the stocker. If I were in your shoes I'd find a stocker. For the simple fact of the matter that the plumbing of the cell is expensive! I don't see or hear of IT cars with stock gas tanks having fire problems and if they were happening on a regular basis the club would be forced to implement a cell requirement.

Dave, I did my driver's school there and a regional. Be three years ago this spring. Didn't have any problems on the banking. Just stuck it on the bottom and motored around. Sucks shutting down for 1 because the thing is just hitting it's stride and really wanting to take off. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif Win had 3rd gear break on him during practice that Saturday. He ran the race in 4th just so he could get credit for a finish toward his license. I'm tired of breaking trannys! ISC is getting next crack at it. I broke two junkyard trannys in the RX-7 last year. Broke a tranny in my turbo Miata this spring (along with a half-shaft...parts not meant for 260whp). Lost the tranny in my truck the same week Win lost 3rd gear in the RX-7.

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

[This message has been edited by C. Ludwig (edited December 21, 2004).]

xr4racer
12-21-2004, 06:37 PM
I agree with Chris, mine has a stock tank and so do 2 of my friends cars, we have never had a problem of any kind. Get a list together of what you need to put the car back together and let me know as we have a few parts cars. I am in New Philadelphia OH, but I will be running the Summit Point National and could bring stuff down or you could make a road trip if you want parts quicker.

seckerich
12-21-2004, 11:34 PM
You have received some good advice so far!! Save your money on the cell and put in an 89 - 91 tank as they are a little bigger for enduro's. Spend your money on a good exaust now, ISC has a great stainless header that will last forever and a good exaust as well. I use Speedsource but I am Biased. I like Speedsource camber plates as they have the caster built in. Spend the money and get the delrin bushings and toe control eliminator kit for the rear or you will kill yourself. Use the 89 - 91 intake system even if you keep the early injection. Good Luck and welcome to the class.

Eagle7
12-22-2004, 11:27 PM
When you're ready for go-fast parts you'll need the 5.12 gear that Chris mentioned, or at least a 4.88.

------------------
Marty Doane
ITS RX-7 #13
CenDiv WMR

wrankin
12-25-2004, 10:10 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys! Like the original poster, I'm also putting together an ITS car from a shell (a 90 TII chassis with a 91 NA drivetrain). I'm planning on just trying to get it running by the spring and use the 2005 season doing some HPDEs to sort things out (and get some seat time). Hopefully I'll get the novice permit for 2006. :-)

-bill

Eagle7
12-26-2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by wrankin:
Thanks for all the advice guys! Like the original poster, I'm also putting together an ITS car from a shell (a 90 TII chassis with a 91 NA drivetrain).
I'm no expert on this, but I don't think you can legally use a turbo chassis to build up an ITS car.

------------------
Marty Doane
ITS RX-7 #13
CenDiv WMR