PDA

View Full Version : FC RX-7 ITS: Power Steering

Bern
12-22-2004, 09:13 PM
Hey guys, another question... After reading the GCR over and over, I can't seem to find anywhere that says that the POWER-STEERING system may be removed. On the contrary, I only see where it says that the pulley may be altered/changed. The rest of the rules says that items not listed must stay as specified by the OEM. I don't think that one is allowed to back date a component to nothing, right?

But, I see almost no ITS FC's with POWER-STEERING... is everyone claiming to have an original non PS car/chassis, or what?? Am I missing something?

Thanks as always!!

-Bern

Quickshoe
12-22-2004, 09:59 PM
Yes Bern you are missing something. You can change entire assemblies with other models on the same spec line. Go find yourself a non-PS 2nd gen.

Before you go nuts with this new knowledge swapping all kinds of stuff. Remember you must change entire assemblies.

-Daryl DeArman

Bern
12-22-2004, 10:13 PM
Daryl,
Thanks I know that I could swap out the chassis, but we have, what we have.. a 1989 GTUs with PS. I know that I could find another non-PS chassis, but I'm not so sure that "all" of the other FC's in ITS are original non-PS cars. Hence my question, to those that had PS and now don't... how is this??

-Bern

------------------

C. Ludwig
12-22-2004, 10:25 PM
The spec line for the 2nd gen lists car for 86-91. This makes those years effectively one model regardless of year. Since non-power steering was available in at least one year you can use it across the board for the "model". You do have to swap the entire assembly which in this case is the steering rack. You can't, legally, remove the pump and loop the lines of a power steering rack and use it that way or otherwise disable it.

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

Bern
12-22-2004, 10:31 PM
Again, Chris... a big thank you. I kind of read it, and understood it, the same way, but being new to the ITS game, I wasn't sure, and wanted to make certain I wasn't the only one thinking this way. Good input on not being able to loop the rack.

True, so I would back date to a "steering" assembly that only requires the rack and not any of the power-assist parts.

Thanks again!!

-Bern

------------------

seckerich
12-23-2004, 12:05 AM
Most early turbo 2 cars had the manual rack. Good place to look.

C. Ludwig
12-23-2004, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Bern:
Again, Chris... a big thank you. I kind of read it, and understood it, the same way, but being new to the ITS game, I wasn't sure, and wanted to make certain I wasn't the only one thinking this way. Good input on not being able to loop the rack.

True, so I would back date to a "steering" assembly that only requires the rack and not any of the power-assist parts.

Thanks again!!

-Bern

My words of wisdom ran short...disregard this post. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

[This message has been edited by C. Ludwig (edited December 23, 2004).]