PDA

View Full Version : First gen guys...what exhaust setup do you run?

Ben 84 RX-7
10-25-2004, 07:48 PM
I have an 84 ST-2 (which is the same as ITA) race car and was wondering what exhaust you guys are running. I have a racing beat header, that joins into a presilencer, and splits again into two pipes to exit through a Mindtrain exhaust. My car passes sound at Lime Rock without any problems. Everyone else at other tracks like Watkins Glen, seem to have a much louder exhaust setup. Do you think I am losing power with this exhaust setup?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

lateapex911
10-25-2004, 08:01 PM
Ben- is that you? THe yellow RX-7 from the Glen this weekend? If so, good to see you here!

Are you losing power? IMHO, yes.

The Racing Beat is a good unit, but there are better choices. First it is REALLY heavy. REALLY REALLY heavy...like well, well you get it. Look at the ISC stainless version. Smoother bends and much lighter. I think SDJ (you have a sticker on your car for them..perhaps you have an SDJ engine?) has a nice peice as well.

From there, a popular method is two pipes running back past under, (or over) the axle, then joining into a 3" pipe and the big Walker Dynomax stainless muffler.

The term "muffle" is stretching things a bit, because you can see engines exhaust ports if you look in the tailpipe! kidding...

I THINK the SDJ is an "early collector" system, check out their website. Call Mike VanSteenburg in FL for more info on the ISC unit.

That is a good basic system. Guys are doing some more "exotic" stuff out there with expansion chambers and experimental headers and such, but that will get you right on par with 95% of the RX-7s out there.

If it's you, good racing with you, and while my answers aren't worth anything, feel free to drop me an email (addy below) if you have any questions.

Go easy on the "professional speeders" such as myself!

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Ben 84 RX-7
10-25-2004, 10:01 PM
So you suggest the header, straight through pipes to the muffler? No presilencer at all?

lateapex911
10-25-2004, 10:43 PM
Well, if you're looking to add weight...

Beware...it's not a car to drive to the store to get milk in early on a Sunday morning....but you've heard mine, so you know! I have never had an issue with sound however...about 98db

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Andy Bettencourt
10-25-2004, 11:45 PM
http://www.iscracing.net/exhaust.htm

The ISC stuff has incorporated expansion chambers in both their 2nd and 1st gen offerings. Betting its as good as it gets.

I saw a 5whp gain over a 'home made' system of the same diameter and muffler.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
New England Region, R188967
ITS RX-7 and ITA project SM
www.flatout-motorsports.com