PDA

View Full Version : S-plan pricing?

benracin
08-23-2004, 10:26 AM
Don't know if it's a big no-no to talk about this, but has anyone ever taken advantage of mazda's s-plan pricing on a new car? Since it works for family members and my brother is looking for a new car I thought I would ask. If it's good, I just may be in the market too! Is it better than invoice?

Ben.

dyoungre
08-23-2004, 03:56 PM
Ben,
Which model (s) in particular are you interested in? Email me at dyoungre_at_optonline_dot_net, I have years of experience as an employee, so I know which are good deals, which you could get just the same or better by bartering... Rule number one, though, FOLLOW THE RULES - no brothersunclescousinsneighbor parking in your driveway type stuff....

------------------
Dave Youngren
NER ITA RX7 #61

pgipson
08-23-2004, 10:08 PM
I bought a new Miata last year on the S-Plan through Motorsports. Turns out we have the same deal at work for Ford (and others). The process was painless (except for the "finance manager" -- if a typical car salesman is a snake, the fm is the slime on the snake's belly). No hassle with the dealer, so I sort of expect you could do better with the normal "thrust and parry" haggle. But I was pleased with the deal.

On Edit -- I seem to recall I found a site where I could see the S-Plan pricing but I am absolutely not able to find it again

[This message has been edited by pgipson (edited August 23, 2004).]

CaptainWho
08-24-2004, 11:44 PM
I have access to S Plan through Mazdaspeed, and X Plan through work. Does anyone know what the difference is?

------------------
Doug "Lefty" Franklin
NutDriver Racing (http://www.nutdriver.org)

pgipson
08-26-2004, 01:56 AM
I don't have the info in front of me, but I think "X Plan" is the Ford corporate program for suppliers that works with all the cars under the corporate umbrella (except Land Rover) including Mazda. We also have the same thing with GM.

seattle7
09-23-2004, 02:31 AM
I bought a Mazda6 with the S-plan a few months ago. It's a fixed price, around $150 below invoice I believe, but it varies with the model and options. There is also an "E" (?) plan where you save even more, but I think it's only for Mazda employees and affiliates. Of course once you add in taxes, fees, etc. the price is above invoice but I figure you save 1-2k, and no haggling.

It was a decent experience, follow the rules. If you read them, it says something like...
Step 1: Go to your Mazda dealer
Step 2: Identify yourself as an S-plan member
Step 3: Select your new vehicle from stock
Step 4: Purchase your new vehicle

I drove it first and then told the salesman, but he was cool about it. I knew what I wanted and it was painless. The finance guy may still try to screw you, so do your research and pay attention.
The best thing to do is figure out exactly what you want first and do a web search of inventory, it works pretty good. Then go drive it.
It was worthwhile, and the Mazda6 is a great car.

benracin
09-23-2004, 09:57 AM
I have a strategy. Hope no dealers read this, but I'm guessing if I mention this plan right off the bat, making a good deal on my trade will be almost impossible. I'll have to check with the rules, but can I barter on the trade, then go new car shopping and mention the plan? It's kind of backwards from how you would normally buy a car, but this is a different situation isn't it.

seattle7
09-23-2004, 07:12 PM
You always get screwed on dealer trade-ins, so "making a good deal on it" is impossible anyway. Selling to a private party is the only way to go. If this is not an option for you, just know what to expect when you offer the trade. Not immediately telling the dealer you are an S-plan member is against the rules. This makes sense, since they don't want to waste time with a zero-profit customer. I bent the rules a little by driving it first, but I didn't waste anyone's time, which is the spirit of the rule I'm guessing. I also don't think they'll play your trade-in game of setting the trade value first, in fact you'll probably just piss them off. Normally this is a good thing (hey, who doesn't like pissing off car dealers?) but in this case I'd stick to the rules. It's a great deal, and you'll get low book for your trade. If you don't get at least that, I'd find another dealer.

dyoungre
09-24-2004, 09:47 AM
I agree with the increased value of selling on your own, Seattle, but disagree with what you consider playing by the rules; S Plan is NOT zero profit to the dealer - in fact, it is sticker profit, reimbursed by Mazda Corporation. S Plan can be a great opportunity, especially on hot selling cars. You also may be able to haggle a better deal without using S Plan, if inventories are high. Do the best you can. If S Plan is better, use it.

------------------
Dave Youngren
NER ITA RX7 #61

benracin
09-24-2004, 12:10 PM
So, anyone want to buy a 2002 chevy s10 extended cab with a v-6? Auto, bed liner, 50,000 miles, I'll sell it for what I owe. 11,5. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif