PDA

View Full Version : oil pump sprocket installation

dyoungre
09-08-2004, 03:55 PM
Does anybody have a trick to installing the oil pump sprocket without pushing the stupid key out of the pump shaft? I unfortunately found mine under the engine stand...after installing the front cover. It took me many tries before the key would stay. Also, what's the easiest way to tell that it is in place BEFORE running down the nut?

------------------
Dave Youngren
NER ITA RX7 #61

Quickshoe
09-08-2004, 08:12 PM
Yes, a tiny dab of super glue on the key.

On edit--thought it would be obvious--the tiny bit of super glue goes between the key and the keyway on the shaft.

I was told this trick by MazdaComp when I struggled like hell to get the little triangle pieces of the 2pc apex seals to stay in place while I put the next housing on. Now they come "pre-glued", when you torque the housing the glue seal breaks and you are ready to go!

[This message has been edited by Quickshoe (edited September 08, 2004).]

C. Ludwig
09-08-2004, 11:38 PM
I usually put a small dab of silicone on it. Never really had a problem with them falling out though.

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

moto62
09-08-2004, 11:50 PM
Next time, just remove the four 10mm bolts that holds the pump to the housing and take the whole pump, chain, and drive gear off as one unit. Much easier. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif
Ray

dyoungre
09-10-2004, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the ideas; I hope I don't need to use them for a while, but I have this sinking feeling...

------------------
Dave Youngren
NER ITA RX7 #61