PDA

View Full Version : clean 1st gen bodys needed

dickita15
09-02-2004, 09:09 AM
here in the northeast clean 1st gen donor cars are getting pretty rare. i am thinking about preping a new shell over the winter and was wondering how far south I have to drive to find a good shell. might be less work to do a road trip than to do all that rust repair.
dick patullo
new england region ita rx7

joeg
09-02-2004, 09:54 AM
Dick--Pretty much any pre-1990 IT classed "rust-free" car candidate is a tough find in the NE.

In reality, you may not have to venture that far south to find one, however. Anywhere south of PA can do, and do not rule out mid to southern NJ.

Nothing beats SW TX, Arizona, Nevada and SOCAL, however.

Other than these suggestions, you will be hunting the pristine "never seen a winter or rain" car, which will be priced accordingly.

Good Luck.

ITSRX7
09-02-2004, 11:15 AM
Sounds like picking up a car at the ARRC is in order!

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
ITS RX-7 & Spec Miata 1.6 (ITA project)
New England Region R188967
www.flatout-motorsports.com (http://www.flatout-motorsports.com)

planet6racing
09-02-2004, 12:55 PM
Dick:

I know of (2) first gen 7's in Louisiana (I want to say New Orleans, but I'm not for certain) that someone would be happy if you would take off his hands. I can put you into contact with the person if you are interested...

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

ddewhurst
09-02-2004, 04:00 PM
Hello Bill, my name is David Dewhurst. I race a 1st gen & would have interest in 1st gens in great shape. You remember me, the guy with the BIG BOLD RED #14.................

Thanks racing pal http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/frown.gif
David

[email protected]

Dano77
09-02-2004, 09:38 PM
Dick.I might ,nowait I KNOW where there is a clean shell But you,ll be competing with Drew for the rights. Call "Bubba" Patton in dunbarton NH. He's thinking small block RX-7 Which would be cool but you may be able to persuade him to build the small block 240sx. He has both doners. Or you could buy the venerable 77 car & go catch "Super Cake" Jake. But thats another story. Drew on saturday,Dano on sunday at Cheap Date.
See you soon
Dan

Hotshoe
09-02-2004, 10:41 PM
Anyone needing any 1st Gen RX7 cars or parts can call me. I have over 60 of them. Most are rust free. Located in Goldsboro, North Carolina.
(919)-735-0438
All I try to do is help guys keep their cars running. As long as I can cover my cost of removing the part and shipping the cost of the part is pretty cheap. I also let people come and "shop" and do a pick and pay. Whatever helps my fellow racer keep those fun 1st gens on the track I'm all for it.

Rick Thompson ..... #99 IT7 SEDIV

dickita15
09-03-2004, 08:10 AM
bill thanks for the offer but i am hoping for a little closer. mapquest say 24.5 hour one way.

rick this might work. still 11 hours each way was hoping for a little closer but it sound like you have a good inventory. feel free to email me at [email protected]

i would like to get a 81-82 and a friend wants a new 79. if i can borrow a two car trailer i can make a run south after the season ends.

if there are any stashes in the DC- virginia- penn. area it would be a one day trip.
dick

Rex B
09-03-2004, 06:30 PM
here in Texas clean non-running cars are fairly plentiful and generally free for the asking. I gave away a cherry 1980 (sorry, Dick) because it isn't eligible for Spec7.
I have parted out 3 so far.

lateapex911
09-03-2004, 07:30 PM
Dick, I don't have one for you, sorry.

But let me ask you this: (and I do this as a point of interest for all here)...
You currently run an RX_7, that is reasonabley straight. I know it is heavy as there are sections that are "too thick" etc.

I am assuming you want to do a swap of all your stuff into a new body.

With todays climate as far as the ITA RX-7 is concerned, and the amount of work, why?

(I'm not doubting at all, I just want to hear the reasoning...and saying "It will be a clean car" is a great answer!)

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

dickita15
09-04-2004, 08:02 AM
jake,
I have a lot of spares as I have parted out a number of rust buckets as well as duplicates on a number of racing parts so I am not sure that i would take apart my current car but it is not inconcievable that a single incident could ruin my shell. seem to me that preping a spare shell over the winter would be prudent. as to the current status of the rx7 in ita you are right, it is pretty discourging, i think the proposed(the vote should have happened last week. no news yet) rule changes are good for IT but bad for us. even if no relief comes to us i still can learn a lot in my current car. I don't see myself giving up until I have gotten my car and the driver as good as it can get.
dick

lateapex911
09-04-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by dickita15:
jake,
...... even if no relief comes to us i still can learn a lot in my current car. I don't see myself giving up until I have gotten my car and the driver as good as it can get.
dick

A very noble approach.

Glad to see I won't be the last guy out there beating his head against a wall.

(Just not sure how much longer I can do it before the wall crumbles or my head does! I suspect my head will be the first to go. .....)

dickita15
09-04-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by lateapex911:
(Just not sure how much longer I can do it before the wall crumbles or my head does! I suspect my head will be the first to go. .....)

well after that rain win last weekend the wall is up against a more formidable opponent. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif
dick
ps my motor ran today

moto62
09-04-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by dickita15:
ps my motor ran today

Then you should go and try to catch it. Those things are hard to come by these days. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif
That's good news.
Ray