PDA

View Full Version : Transmission failure (upon driver error)

ddewhurst
08-17-2004, 03:49 PM
During a shift from 3rd to 4th in a 1st gen Rx-7 transmissin the shift lever locked & would go no-where. No 3rd, no 4th, no reverse. Took the transmission apart very carfull for a learning process. When I got to the three shift forks the 5th/reverse shift fork was partial forward as tho a shift into reverse was attempted. (driver error I presume) Upon further disassembly the clutch slider is forward towards reverse (partial stuck) but not full forward like a shift was completed. With the shift slider yoke taken off I can not with hand force completely move the clutch slider to reverse gear & I can not with hand force move the clutch slider to neutral between reverse & 5th gear.

Any thoughts on what the issue/issues are that the clutch slider will not move fully into reverse or move into the neutral position ? I can not see anything broken/damaged with the parts assembled. Any trick advise on a fix without dis-assembly

Thanks http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif
David

steve s
08-17-2004, 08:43 PM
seems to me you tried to go into reverse.
the 5th reverse slider is damage from grinding in reverse and is stuck in no mans land.[no neutral no reverse].
i would normally replace the slider if it was a customer's tranny. but if you're at the track or on a budget and don't have the cash then remove the slider and deburr the side towards reverse gear.
the only problem you may have doing this is that reverse may pop out ,not enough slider to gear contact. this happens only in extreme damaged slider.
p.s. B4 you assemble the box make sure the slider works freely on the hub.good luck.

------------------
steve saney
it-7 /it-a #34

wlfpkrcn
08-17-2004, 09:14 PM
My father in law has done this twice. Both times going into the esses at Sears point. I think he was holding himself up with the shifter during the shift. Both times I replaced the whole hub/slider assembly with spare parts I had from trannys that weren't worth fixing.

Were you going into/in a left hand corner when this happened?