PDA

View Full Version : Koni Shocks

ITS51RX7
08-12-2004, 04:54 PM
Hello,
I have a question about the Koni Sports shocks and struts that are currently on my car( 2nd Gen rx7). They are wore out and was wondering if I should have them rebuilt or just discard them and install new.
If I should send them out for a rebuild who have you had good luck with rebuilding Koni shocks.
Thanks,
Michael Flock

Eagle7
08-12-2004, 10:58 PM
They are rebuildable, but it's probably at least as cheap to buy new. Koni quoted me $140 + parts & shipping, TrueChoice quoted $135 + parts & shipping.

------------------
Marty Doane
ITS RX-7 #13
CenDiv WMR

ITS51RX7
08-13-2004, 09:37 PM
I seem to be having some trouble and was hoping for any ideas.
I removed the fronts struts from the car and then removed the top cap which holds the Koni strut inside the steel tube all of the contents of the strut came out except the outside metal wall of the strut seems to be stuck inside the tube.
Any ideas on removal. ??
Thanks,
Michael Flock

Eagle7
08-13-2004, 09:45 PM
I assume you've got the 8641-1200 inserts. They are supposed to be held in the strut housing with a bolt through the bottom. If you loosen the bolt but don't fully remove it you can press on the bolt to force the insert out. I've got a press, so it worked pretty well for me. I expect you could tap with a hammer and get it moving.

------------------
Marty Doane
ITS RX-7 #13
CenDiv WMR

ITS51RX7
08-14-2004, 08:43 AM
My struts tubes must be of a different design,here is a link and picture of them.
http://www.awrracing.com/pages/rx/rxsusp.html

The strut tubes do not have any bolt holding them in just the top cap which is threaded into the strut tube.
Thanks for the reply's

Michael Flock

Eagle7
08-14-2004, 03:16 PM
My strut inserts are mounted in a modified original strut - the top is cut off.
Sorry, don't know how yours works. Maybe you should call AWR?

------------------
Marty Doane
ITS RX-7 #13
CenDiv WMR